PDA

View Full Version : Engine overheating

cjerry76
02-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi all
We had a nice day here in New Jersey. Temps up to almost 60 degrees in February!!! Anyhow...I was driving the family in our 2001 XC, (which we purchased approx 1 month ago), when I came upon a bit of traffic. I noticed after a few minuted that I was getting a message that the engine was overheating and the needle was in the red area!!!

I quickly put the heat on and the needle slowly went down.
I pulled over when I could and checked the coolant which was fine. The fan did not appear to be going at all.
I was able to recreate this a few times but only with the heat off.

Has this happened to anyone? I did a search and found little on this topic.
This is my 3rd Volvo (89 DL wagon, 99 V70) and I never overheated before. Thanks.

Filibuster
02-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Overheating is not a good thing for the engine. Please don't try to duplicate it.  If the fan wasn't working you obviously need to take the car in for repair...

cjerry76
02-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Thank you for stating the obvious Fly by Day.

Let me clarify for you,  I did not let the engine overheat several times.  Once the temp started to creeep up I shut it off. I am aware this is not normal behavior and that is the purpose of the post,(and my visit to the dealer tomorrow).

Now back to my original question...has this happened to anyone before?

[B]

BillAileo
03-01-2004, 05:02 PM
I haven't had the problem.  Would be interested to hear the result of your visit at the dealers.  I would offer a couple guesses at the problem:

Temperature sensor that switches on the fan is bad;
Fuse for the fan is blown;
An open circuit in the wiring to the fan; or
a bad fan.

Good luck,
Bill

sendwongy1
03-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey Guys,

My 2001 xc overheated on me a few months ago and the fault was tracked down to a malfunction in the cooling fan of the car. Was replaced under warranty and the car works fine now.

Hope that helps

Uj

cjerry76
03-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
It turns out it was the cooling fan. It was replaced under warranty.  
-CJ

SpudRacer
03-04-2004, 11:54 AM
For others with a cooling problem, please see the topic I posted on our XC70. The problem it had, was that the cooling fan was on 100% of the time whether the engine was hot or cold. They found a bad coolant temp sensor.

Here's the kicker... the sensors are a national backorder and there are none available at ANY dealer in the US. Now color me purple, but that tells me there are serious problems with the coolant temperature sensors out there in everyone's Volvos. Mine stays on all the time, yours stays off all the time. Likely the same defective part.

I recommend others keep a closer eye on their temperature gauges especially during stop and go traffic.  If the temp starts climbing, turn your heater on full heat regardless of the ambient temperature and shut the car down if the temp doesn't start coming down quickly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I did not let the engine overheat several times. Once the temp started to creeep up I shut it off. I am aware this is not normal behavior and that is the purpose of the post,(and my visit to the dealer tomorrow).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Good Job cjerry in keeping the car from overheating&#33;&#33; Inattention to the gauges in these electronically-dependent cars could be a very costly mistake. I applaud your attention.

Tom

cjerry76
03-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks Tom.

I did monitor the fan after it was replaced and it appears to be going on and off normally. &nbsp;If that changes I will let everyone know.