PDA

View Full Version : 2011 XC70 Critique

budrichard
12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally tried to Post on this Forum but no go. Webmaster says to try again. this Post is on another Forum and I usually don't do multiple Forums but this hopefully will be of interest to those that only follow this Forum.

"Picked up our third XC70 Wednesday, so now we own all three generations of XC70.
I had previously had a 2010 for a couple of days while my 2003 was being serviced, so I had a good idea of what we were purchasing. Unfortunately no diesel option for the US and I opted for the standard engine which appears to be more than adequate for highway driving. 4C is not an option for the US market and I doubt I would have purchased it anyway.
Climate Package with rear integrated booster seats(lose rear heated seats), Convenience and Premium Packages with 'Premium Electric Silver Metallic' (Who ever came up with that name and the extra $125 charge?) were ordered along with Block Heater, Volvo Hitch, rubber floor mats and rear cargo mat. Also took Volvo 84 month 100K mile extended warranty even though standard is now 5 year, 60k miles. I got my money's worth out of the 2003 extended warranty. Dealership tried to sell me U-Haul hitch and after market market warranty but nope!
Only delivery problem was that the driver's side window 'AUTO DOWN' did not work but tech programmed the window in a few minutes (got to get one of those programmers!).
Of course each generation drives differently with the P1 being the most 'sporty', the P2 kind of a big floating type ride and the P3 seems so far to be a very good ride and very quiet internally for the driver/passenger. Since we are used to the XC70's, all the controls are kinda of similar in type and location/function, so its not a very substantial learning curve. I drove the 2010 loaner for about 5-6 days with the only instruction being for the 'key' and Press to Start feature. Dealership yesterday told me that the 'key' had to be inserted with the buttons on top but that is obviously incorrect if one looks at the 'key' design, it works either way.
Vehicle came with Conti 4x4 Contach and I don't know how they will perform in snow even though they do have the 'Snowflake'? Presently the other XC70's have Nokian WR G2's but they wear as much as Blizzack's and Gislaved's in my opinion. We are due for 2-4" of snow the PM, so when my wife comes home its over the UW parking lot for some testing.
I did purchase the rear cargo net that covers that area horizontally but the clips on the net and the hitch points in the cargo bed are not compatible as far as I can see and it looks like the net is just the net for the P2 vehicle which is have in the 2003. Will have to work that out because these installed grocery bag holders just do not work.
Dealership is looking for Volvo skid plate and I had to get the part numbers from the Brit web site. If Volvo USA does not offer the skid plate, I will have to make them get one or order from across the Pond as I have one on the 2003 XC70 and its well worth the cost. The Sirius Radio 'Fin' may be a problem for cartopping sea kayaks and I did not activate the thing and will be searching for a plate to replace the 'fin'. I don't know what idiot decided that everyone wanted SAT Radio and did not understand the problem with a 'fin' on the roof!
Volvo 2011 XC70 Owner's Manual is available on line and I read the manual on line which I would advise anyone to do before purchase or picking one up for delivery.
Other wise only time will tell as to reliability but it sure drove nice on the way home.
If anyone is interested I will update this Post from time to time.-Dick "

XCovlov70
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi!
I think you are quite lucky on that side of the Pond as we have just got our XC70 in Flamenco Red and the colour cost me another $900 (£600) on the Standard Colour Price! :eek:

I also see you get a 5 Year 60k Warranty whereas this side of the Pond they give us 3 Years. :eek:

I also got the Rear Cargo Mat but found 2 problems in trying to fit it:
1) The 'ears' in each corner of the mat behind the rear passenger seats cannot be fitted around the cargo floor base and then between the aluminium channel and floor
2) The 'lips' down each side of the Cargo Mat are supposed, according to the Volvo Fitting Instructions, to fit betwen the Aluminium Channel and Floor Base but firstly are not deep enough and the mat is not wide enough! :mad:

I also got the Sun Screens for the Cargo Area however the Tailgate Blind has a 0.5inch gap between it and the clip that is supposed to hold it in place!

But before you ask: Yes they are both supposed to be the correct ones for the 2011 model XC70!

The 'fin' on the roof is also used for the ariel for Bluetooth, and the GPS/RTI which is standard issue in the UK.

I have seen both kyaks & canoes on roof bars going across the car roof and the 'fin' does not present a problem as there was plenty of clearance.

Finally don't believe all you read in the Online Manual, I have the hard copy and as well as incorrect information some other parts are 3 YEARS out of date! [cussing]

Volvo Customer Service (UK) are now in receipt of a quite long e-mail regarding the Owners Manual and incorrect information being provided/stated.

Have a look at this Thread which is about our 2011 XC70 in Flamenco Red 2011 Model.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17628

Hope you enjoy the read.

Greybeard
12-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Bud Richard:
I read your post with great interest. I have a 2000 XC70SE. Worst car I have ever had, bar none. I'm 58 and have had several cars over the years. I always wanted a 245 but my wife wanted a mini van, so I waited and finally bought a "clean" 2000XC70SE. Clean but non-stop problems. $3100 angle gear in the first few month. Many other little things. Most recently it is "using" coolant. Volvo dealer said it wants to replace radiator, head gasket and water pump. In other words, they don't know what's wrong either, but they want another $3100. I said, well I won't repeat it here. "No". I am so disappointed in my Volvo that I am super hesitant to consider a new model. It's been 4 years of hell and at this point a Honda or Chevy looks much more appealing, reliable and definitely cheaper.
Since you own all three gens of the XC, what words of advice would you give a "snakebit" XC owner? Just curious. I still love to drive my XC. I just don't trust it as far as I can throw it. And I'm tired of being ripped off by Volvo repairmen.
Thanks.

XCovlov70
12-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Bud Richard:
I read your post with great interest. I have a 2000 XC70SE. Worst car I have ever had, bar none. I'm 58 and have had several cars over the years. I always wanted a 245 but my wife wanted a mini van, so I waited and finally bought a "clean" 2000XC70SE. Clean but non-stop problems. $3100 angle gear in the first few month. Many other little things. Most recently it is "using" coolant. Volvo dealer said it wants to replace radiator, head gasket and water pump. In other words, they don't know what's wrong either, but they want another $3100. I said, well I won't repeat it here. "No". I am so disappointed in my Volvo that I am super hesitant to consider a new model. It's been 4 years of hell and at this point a Honda or Chevy looks much more appealing, reliable and definitely cheaper.
Since you own all three gens of the XC, what words of advice would you give a "snakebit" XC owner? Just curious. I still love to drive my XC. I just don't trust it as far as I can throw it. And I'm tired of being ripped off by Volvo repairmen.
Thanks.

Greybeard.
In an effort to stop you getting ripped off as you put it, why not get some 'dye' and mix it with the engine coolant this should allow you to see where it is being 'used' if it is coming out of somewhere?

I am sure that one of the car assessory outlets across that side of the Pond would be able to sell you an engine coolant dye.

budrichard
12-21-2010, 10:43 AM
We purchased our first Volvo in 1987 and drove it to the junkyard as the frame had a crack that kept growing from running over a truck drive shaft many many years ago.
What I have found is that if you avoid purchasing for a year or two after a new model year, you hopefully get a better build but with the short time of development and engineering possible to today and the use of different suppliers that may be in fact nullified, just witness the drop in Mercedes quality.
Volvo's like any other vehicle require adherence to the maintenance schedule and prompt action if something goes wrong. I believe many owners that lease or purchase with an eye to not keeping the vehicle a long time, skimp on maintenance and that some of these vehicles individuals purchase are among those that have not been maintained well. My last service interval on my 1999 XC70 at 127.5K mile cost $1100 and included a trans flush that I had been thinking bout with the Service Tech at an independent Volvo shop now that the 1999 is out of its extended warranty. The 2003 did have $5500 (90k miles) in repairs done just before the extended warranty ran out and that is a little shocking but the bevel gear and other leaks apparently are common.
My recommendation is that if you purchase a used Volvo, you must obtain the entire service record or no sale, period. Not difficult if from a private party that get the records from a Volvo Dealer but from a Dealer, I'd say impossible. A good independent shop that services only Volvo's can be a great asset.
So I purchase new after 1-2 years of new model introduction and purchase the Volvo OEM extended Warranty. It's the best one can do. The 99XC70 and the 2003XC70 I would trust in any inclement weather and they have so far proved to be reliable. The 2011 is a crap shoot but so are all the new vehicles. I think technology is being introduced faster than reliability can be maintained across the board and unless one goes with a brand that had good quality and doesn't introduce new tech all the time. For my son, I co-signed for a new 2009 Honda Civic for him as its the best engineered small vehicle on the market. It's 1&1/2 years old with only a simple TPMS problem, quickly fixed. No way i would have got him an S40 Volvo, too expensive for what you get and the Honda is a better vehicle.
I had considered a Suburu Outback but that is an entirely new model and is actually quite close to the XC70 in size. If you put the Outback and XC70 side by side with 6 cyl engine and comparable features the Outback is only 4-5K cheaper but only has a 3year/36K warranty while Volvo until Jan is giving a 5 year/60k warranty and free maintenance so the choice was easy for me. My wife can drive the 2011 with only minimal training as its feel and controls are somewhat the same.
Hope the above helps.-Dick

Lotus99
12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Our 09 XC70 T6 has practically been a lemon... Search for my posts. I don't think I've heard of others having as many problems as we have though.

Matters
12-25-2010, 06:23 PM
We pay circa $1500 USD for metallic paint in Australia. To say nothing of the circa $60K USD purchase price which includes zero options. Be thankful our North American friends, you know not of your good fortune.

We have universal health care and gun control though, so I guess I can't complain.

Neither can I complain about our Jan 09 build XC70 which continues to be faultless, excellent and fit for its purpose.

XCovlov70
12-26-2010, 02:28 AM
We pay circa $1500 USD for metallic paint in Australia. To say nothing of the circa $60K USD purchase price which includes zero options. Be thankful our North American friends, you know not of your good fortune.

We have universal health care and gun control though, so I guess I can't complain.

Neither can I complain about our Jan 09 build XC70 which continues to be faultless, excellent and fit for its purpose.

I would really second those comments.

Likewise we pay around $50K (USD) for the BASIC car and then the EXTRAS start getting added like Metallic Paint, Active 4C Chassis, Heated & Cooled Seats, Premium Sound System etc etc taking the actual price to anything up to $70K (USD)

Mean our 2009 XC70 was fabulous and gave me 44,000 Major Fault Free Miles of very enjoyable driving, the only reason it was changed was a personal choice, it is however already with another owner who has had Volvo cars for a long time but like me "Looks after his kit so it looks after him" . [thumbup]

Our 2011 is 'growling' well when the pedal is pushed to the metal and the joy of driving this "Swedish Tug" in our current weather is wonderful, especially when I see other makes on the expensive side of the market slipping and sliding all over the place! [thumbup]

Ps. Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year

budrichard
12-26-2010, 05:50 AM
In the USA you can't give wagons (Estates) away. Volvo USA has even labeled the XC70 a Crossover, whatever that means. Many of the crossovers from other manufactures have these severely curved roofs and I can't imagine how one can car top anything?
Mercedes only offers the E class with 4-Matic at $57KUSD to start and Audi doesn't import the Off-Road A4 and a A6 Avants preferring to sell a standard A4 or A6 or the Audi SUV's. These wagons all have AWD but no raised ground clearance, The XC70 is one of Volvo's better selling models in the USA. Our 2011 with Three Premium packages, Premium Silver Paint, block heater, Volvo rear hitch, Volvo skid plate, rubber interior mats and cargo liner mat, Volvo Extended Warranty and Tax, went out the door at about $45KUSD. I paid $500 over invoice and with the Loyalty Program another $1kUSD reduction. Volvo also offers 2.9% financing and 5 years/60K miles full warranty and paid maintenance.
It's shame pricing is not universal but I don't how much tax is built into other countries models? This is our third XC70 from this dealership, so I never stepped into the dealership until we picked up the vehicle conducting all business by phone.
So far trouble free and I went down a 1/2 mile farm drive to pick up our Xmas goose with 6" of snow, DSTC off, 25 -30mph like a hot knife through butter. Took my local farmer friend for a ride on the snowmobile trails, no problems. We just had 6 inches of lake effect last night with 2" or more on the way, we are on a dead end road and i expect no problems if I want to go anywhere. I just wouldn't be without one of these vehicles where we live!
Happy Holidays!-Dick

Greybeard
01-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks Bud Richard for your reply. My 2000 XC70 finally sprung a leak on the radiator, so I know why it has been using (leaking) coolant. I have a new radiator, hoses, etc. so I'm going to replace it myself.
And to think, the Volvo repair shop wanted to replace my water pump and head gasket also???
I looked at a 2011 XC 60 two days ago. The maintenance program on new Volvos sounds very appealing. I would buy a new Volvo, but I don't know about a used one again. Unless I had a warranty. I wish Volvo would allow Haynes or Clymers or someone to publish a repair manual on the new models like the good old days. I had to go to the U.K. to find a manual on a 1999 Wagon, and it's not the XC70. But it's close enough. Between it, this forum and Matthews Forum, I usually get the repairs done. After I get the radiator replaced, I may go see what they will give me for my 2000 XC70 against a new XC.

aireeca
01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
In the USA you can't give wagons (Estates) away.

I wish they would. I'm in the market for a wagon and the choices are miserable. Manuals are few and far in between in the United States. Ditto for diesel manuals.

As it is, I'll likely be going for a XC70 in about a year and just sucking up the no-manual situation.

WJGreer
11-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I wish they would. I'm in the market for a wagon and the choices are miserable. Manuals are few and far in between in the United States. Ditto for diesel manuals....and if you can find one, you can't get the good engine. BMW only offers the 328xi. Audi only the 2.0T. On and on.

I may have read that Audi is about to start importing an allroad again. A4-based this time, and again, only with the base engine and automatic transmission. Looks cool, though. We had a 2004 allroad before we bought our XC70; the wheels fell off of it after 60,000 miles, so I'm not sure I would buy another one without an extended warranty to 100K.

For now, the Volvo fills a need. I love ours, but I do wish the suspension were a little stiffer.

budrichard
11-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Bump:
After about 8k miles, the 2011 has been bullet proof but I don't drive it as it's my wife's vehicle.
My heart says an All Road would very very nice even though it would be much smaller than the XC70 and much more expensive. My head says forget it. I asked for an Audi All Road Diesel A6(larger) about 2 years ago, it ain't going to happen according to AUDI-speak.-Dick

WJGreer
11-16-2011, 07:52 AM
My heart says an All Road would very very nice even though it would be much smaller than the XC70 and much more expensive. My head says forget it. I asked for an Audi All Road Diesel A6(larger) about 2 years ago, it ain't going to happen according to AUDI-speak.-Dick
Nope. The allroad is A4-based now, according to this Insideline story (http://www.insideline.com/audi/s4/2013/2013-audi-s4-and-a4-allroad-arrive-next-june-in-us.html). Very good looking car, but certainly smaller than the XC70, which my wife's car as well.

I'll tell you what, though, the adjustable suspension on the previous generation of allroads was a real liability. It was airbag based, and those airbags began to fail pretty reliably around 75,000 miles, with a repair cost around $1200 to $1500 per corner. Ours was otherwise expensive to maintain at that mileage level, as well. The timing belt replacement is apparently very involved and cost $2800. We had lots of leaky gasket issues too.

I can't yet say whether our XC70 will be any better in these respects, but I am a little gunshy of Audis now, having owned one that became a money pit. I might lease one though.

Here's the upcoming A4 allroad:

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/audi/a4/2013/fe/2013_audi_a4_actf34_fe_10261112_717.jpg

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/audi/a4/2013/fe/2013_audi_a4_f34_fe_10261116_717.jpg

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/audi/a4/2013/fe/2013_audi_a4_fint_fe_10261115_717.jpg

Xilikon
11-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Before buying my V70 XC, I looked at used AllRoad but decided against it precisely due to the adjustable suspension.

I wonder if the newer ones learned from the mistakes of the older AllRoad.

WJGreer
11-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Before buying my V70 XC, I looked at used AllRoad but decided against it precisely due to the adjustable suspension.

I wonder if the newer ones learned from the mistakes of the older AllRoad.We're way off topic now...but I looked at the UK Audi website, where they are already selling it. It claims that its suspension is 37mm raised compared to a normal A4 Avant, but it says nothing about being adjustable. Which would mean that maybe they did learn a lesson there. The suspension airbag reliability was really a disaster. Literally everyone I know who has owned an allroad to high mileage has had the problem. Five or six data points, and the singer in the band I play in manages an import mechanic shop and confirms that the issue is widespread.

budrichard
11-17-2011, 05:14 AM
The A6 All Road is indeed gone and not on the AUDI(Germany) website. The A4 is simply raised and 4 cyl engine. NOT the previous All Road rocket that was available in the USA.
For 135,100 EURO's base, you can have the A7 12 cyl Diesel that will leave the new All Road in the dust!
So much for the ALL ROAD.-Dick

WJGreer
11-17-2011, 09:01 AM
The A6 All Road is indeed gone and not on the AUDI(Germany) website. The A4 is simply raised and 4 cyl engine. NOT the previous All Road rocket that was available in the USA.
For 135,100 EURO's base, you can have the A7 12 cyl Diesel that will leave the new All Road in the dust!
So much for the ALL ROAD.-DickActually, the A4 Avant shows 0-60 at 6.5 seconds. The 2004 allroad we had was a 2.7L biturbo and hit 60 about a half second slower. I'm not sure how fast the 4.2 was. At my altitude it may have been slower.

AGXC70
12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
... Of course each generation drives differently with the P1 being the most 'sporty', the P2 kind of a big floating type ride and the P3 seems so far to be a very good ride and very quiet internally for the driver/passenger. ... "

so is p2 the 2003 model?

budrichard
12-03-2011, 04:04 AM
so is p2 the 2003 model?

Yes. At least in my lexicon it is.-Dick