PDA

View Full Version : My XC70 Idling rough, and dies

Skypilot
12-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Hello,
I am new to the forum, and am looking for some advice. Today my wife was driving our 2001 XC70 and after stopping at a red light, it died. It instantly restarted, but she said it wanted to stop running if she didnt keep on the gas. It runs fine as long as it is not allowed to idle. I tested the car after I got home and it started right up, but idled a bit rough. I ran codes and received two = P0446 Evap emission and P0172 Too rich bank 1. I am assuming the two are related. Has anybody experienced the same situation? Or have any advice on how to approach this? It would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards.[happy]

R

KC04XC70
12-08-2010, 09:29 AM
just a guess of the top of my head, but too rich bank 1 sounds like one of the O2 sensors is reading too rich, might need new O2 sensors. I would do some searchs on that code and see what comes up.

Aviator
12-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Check for vacuum leaks.

Dave.

blkdiamond
12-13-2010, 07:10 AM
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a dirty Electronic Throttle Module. The repair shop wanted to replace the ETM for just over $1,000, but I spent about 2 hours and $5 on a bottle of ETM cleaner and I was as good as new.

Skypilot
12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. I cleaned the ETM and it drives great now. Also it does need O2's, which will be done tomorrow.

gibbons
12-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Please tell more about cleaning the ETM... what to remove, what to buy for cleaner. My 95 Subaru actually has an OBD II (a year early). Anyway, it was idling terribly rough, making me bounce around on the seat. The tach would flutter from 500 to 900. During the fluttering, it would misfire and set a code. I cheated and turned the throttle plate hard stop inward so it can't idle below 900 even with the IAC closed, and it works great now. Realizing that the XC probably doesn't have a plate hard stop, I am still curious about the method cross over. Thanks!

RockitShip
12-17-2010, 12:25 PM
The first time I cleaned my ETM I had it completely disconnected as I was doing my PCV at the time and I couldn't imagine doing this every time I wanted to clean it!

However, it has occurred to me that I could possibly clean the ETM in place.
While it's a tight fit, with a small enough bottle of carb cleaner and just disconnecting the hose, I could get some cleaner in there, and using a rag would also help as would a screwdriver to hold open the throttle. It would be good maintenance every 6 months or so, reducing the need to completely disconnect everything.