PDA

View Full Version : P0101 and P2188

Leto Atreides II
11-24-2010, 12:51 AM
My '05 XC70 has done this a couple times now. It runs very rough at idle, like it almost stalls, but then comes back up. Only seems to happen when it hasn't warmed up yet. After the first time I reset the CEL and figured I'd wait and see if it happens again. It just happened again after maybe 2 weeks and 400 miles. I scanned it with an Actron at Autozone and it listed P0101 and P2188.

Any ideas what I should look at first?

Thanks!

Leto Atreides II
11-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Not sure if this is relevant, but I forgot to mention, P0101 was listed twice. I haven't used Autozone's OBD-II reader before, so I'm not sure, but I think what it was saying was P0101 was a new code and that P0101 and P2188 were thrown before and listed as being previously read since I reset the CEL before.

MoeB
11-24-2010, 08:13 AM
P0101 is a MAF sensor code, I believe. P2188 indicates that the fuel system is too rich at idle. I would try cleaning the MAF sensor to start, then clear the codes and see if they come back.

JRL
11-24-2010, 11:33 AM
You should take it to Volvo
If not, it sounds like a MAF which can go bad literally anytime
I had one go bad in my 04 R at 15K miles

Leto Atreides II
12-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Finally got around to cleaning the MAF sensor. Found some cheap 5 point torx plus security bits on Amazon, after failing to find any locally for any price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P4YCGM

It's been a few weeks and a few hundred miles since it threw the error code and idled roughly, even without cleaning the MAF sensor, so for now at least I'm not going to worry about it. It only happened before in really cold weather so I guess the test will come the next time it freezes.

MoeB
12-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I don't understand why they put security torx screws on the MAF sensor. I guess they feel like us incompetent owners might actually try to repair or clean it ourselves... heaven forbid. Anyway, I just used pliers on the screw heads. So much for "security" screws!

Leto Atreides II
03-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Well it keeps coming back with error code P0101. Is it likely to be anything other than the MAF? I assume it is wise to stick with Bosch -- any reputable places selling it for less than ipd (http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=127,381&P_ID=5351&CAT_ID=381&V_ID=14548)?

With a MAF-related error code is it pretty much a given it would fail smog testing?

As an aside, I recently got this (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-cable-black-blue-orange-dc-12v-42825) OBD II bluetooth reader which syncs with my android phone, so I can use my phone as an OBD II reader/scan tool/gauge/etc. I was worried it wouldn't connect properly, after having a autel reader I bought fail to work with the car, but it has worked great.

JRL
03-27-2011, 05:05 AM
If you have a friendly shop, they can order a Bosch from their parts supply house for about $120 or so
SAME MAF as the Volvo labled MAF

Leto Atreides II
03-27-2011, 10:40 AM
That seems close to the price I saw for the '01 V70 turbo MAF (Bosch part 0280218108)... Looks like the 02+ use Bosch part 0280218088 which is twice as expensive. Mark up is really 100% for that part?

conniecast
01-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Original poster...any resolution?

Leto Atreides II
01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Trying to think back... I cleaned it out with MAF cleaner again. I don't recall that I actually bought a new one to replace it. The code was always intermittent to begin with and one time after I reset it, the code just never came back. The only other thing I did was redo the whole PCV system which was pretty clogged and had some tubing that was disintegrating. Shouldn't have been related, but who knows.

JeremyXC70
09-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Trying to think back... I cleaned it out with MAF cleaner again. I don't recall that I actually bought a new one to replace it. The code was always intermittent to begin with and one time after I reset it, the code just never came back. The only other thing I did was redo the whole PCV system which was pretty clogged and had some tubing that was disintegrating. Shouldn't have been related, but who knows.

I had the same code (P0101) and series of problems. After cleaning the MAF sensor it stopped for a while. Finally after a couple weeks the idling sputter got so bad, the car would turn off. So I took it to Volvo. They gave me a list of things that might need replaced including a cracked flame trap hose, a throttle module, and possibly the MAF sensor. I chose to have the flame trap hose replaced first as it was the cheapest. The hose and clamp cost $32 but the labor to replace it was $200. The car ran great for 9 months with multiple cross country trips and a lot of in town runs. The code came back on a couple days ago and the idling problem is back.

I put a K&N filter in the car when I first purchased it. I took it out and put a NAPA air filter in. The K&N just doesn't look like it holds a seal well. I have been diligent about cleaning it and adding the bead of oil to ensure a proper seal. I could be entirely wrong but I am pretty sure it is adding to the problem.

I am cleaning the MAF sensor today and will update on the process.

JRL
09-24-2013, 09:51 AM
The only other thing I did was redo the whole PCV system which was pretty clogged and had some tubing that was disintegrating. Shouldn't have been related, but who knows.

I didn't see this in Jan, I was recovering from back surgery
Why was the PCV clogged, what are the miles now?
If you recall I did a complete breather on yours with all new VOLVO parts, this doesn't sound right

Leto Atreides II
09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
The sale thread didn't mention the breather. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?17161-2005-XC70-Lava-Sand-Taupe

Back in the original thread about my PCV system you'd said the breather was fine and nothing was done on it before the sale. http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?18822-something-cracked&p=132130#post132130

Maybe it wasn't completely clogged (didn't do a glove test, not sure how much deposits would be considered normal), but the tube that goes between the top of the engine near the ignition coils down to the box was disintegrating. Since I was replacing that piece, and you said it hadn't been done yet, it made sense to do the whole thing.

JeremyXC70
09-30-2013, 08:17 PM
So It has been six days since cleaning the MAF Sensor. The Volvo is running like a top. I really think the K&N performance filter was letting in too much dust and particles.