PDA

View Full Version : Average Speed Reading Never Changes

JayPinNC
11-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I've been noticing that the average speed reading on my MY01 (131,000 miles) has been 24mph for weeks now. This happens even when I take trips on highways that have a 7-mph limit. I've tried re-setting on my directional stalk but no change.

My speedometer and RPM gauge seem to be working normally.

Anybody else have this happen? Any thoughts on what could be causing it?

Ars Gladius
11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
My '04 is the same way, always reading at 40 km/h (24 mph) even though I rarely drive below 40 km/h (I spend probably 90% of my driving distance / time on roads that are 60 or above).

I always found it weird, but I leave my display on average fuel efficiency all the time, so I never really paid much attention.

I have to get the system language changed at some-point soon, I'll ask the dealer about it then.

Seamus
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Haha, I thought this only happened to me. Since we've had the car, its been at 19mph. Never changes. And I'll assure you I drive much faster than 19mph, but that may include the time stopped, which would significantly bring it down as we do mostly town driving. Just always found it weird. Everything else is normal, however the instantaneous MPG can be a little discouraging :eek:

Adrian
11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Both consumption and average speed includes the time when the car is stationary.

dpaton
11-13-2010, 03:41 AM
On my 05, this mode requires its own reset, as does the fuel consumption mode and it works.

Computer should be averaging from the last reset (which may be have been long ago (maybe from new!)) - can others with different years confirm operation in case it's a s/w problem?

And - you guys drive slow! :D:D

Jerrymcc
11-13-2010, 11:47 AM
As I understand from my salesman, it is averaged out over the life of the vehicle from day 1...If you have 131,000 miles on the car and the average is 19, it would take an awful lot of driving at a different speed than the average to make an impact on the AVERAGE...Sometimes you drive at 70 MPH on the throughway, and most of the time you drive around town at 15 or 20 MPH...All of that is averaged in...

Jerry

n00bkiller944
11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Mine has been stuck at 24 since I got it. I think its a whole lot of bullshi*

Jerrymcc
11-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Mine has been stuck at 24 since I got it. I think its a whole lot of bullshi*

Thank you...

JayPinNC
11-14-2010, 07:18 AM
If the reading is in fact from day 1 then I can totally see it and why all of us have #s in the 10,20,30mph range.

To be honest, every time I press the reset button, I don't flip through to see if my average has zeroed out.

Hey, as long as it's not a sign of a problem, I'm fine with it. The number really serves no purpose for me other than to indicate that the previous owner might have done more city driving than highway - who knows.

Thanks for your responses though - glad I wasn't alone!

JRL
11-14-2010, 07:37 AM
As I understand from my salesman, it is averaged out over the life of the vehicle from day 1...If you have 131,000 miles on the car and the average is 19, it would take an awful lot of driving at a different speed than the average to make an impact on the AVERAGE...Sometimes you drive at 70 MPH on the throughway, and most of the time you drive around town at 15 or 20 MPH...All of that is averaged in...

Jerry

It's called use the RESET button and go from there

JayPinNC
11-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Close, but it looks like you need to be a little bit more specific for the unenlightened in the group...

I was under the impression that pressing the RESET button reset both mpg and average speed no matter what setting you are viewing when pressing the button - I didn't know you had to toggle to the display you wanted to reset before you reset. So you can reset avg speed OR mpg individually...

My wife would call this a teachable moment. I have a lot, apparently.

n00bkiller944
11-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Thank you...

Sorry if I offended you man. my badddd :)

Adrian
11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
I wonder if it actually gets stuck after a ceretain amount of time, seeing that none of yours have ever changed. Would love to take one of the non-reset cars on a rolling road and test it out.

..but that's just me

Ocean Racer
11-14-2010, 07:22 PM
You need to hit reset on each display setting.

JayPinNC
11-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Reset mine this morning and for some reason I got 20 miles added to my 'miles to empty' reading during my 5-mile trip to my kid's school.

I know correlation doesn't mean causation, but I thought it was funny.

Leto Atreides II
11-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Because the "miles to empty" is calculated based on your avg mpg. So if your avg mpg is different, then your miles to empty will change.

JayPinNC
11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
But I only reset the average speed. Unless that's somehow related too...

Adrian
11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
It is. Speed / consumption = range.

JayPinNC
11-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I always thought it was actual (not average) speed, or at least the last 12 miles / consumption = range.

Ars Gladius
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
It is. Speed / consumption = range.

Ahhh, I think you mean:

Tank Capacity / Rate of Consumption (per Distance Unit) = Range (Distance)

or

Tank Capacity / Rate of Consumption (per Time Unit) = Range (Time)

So the Range that you see in the DIS display, would most likely be "Current Tank Capacity / Average Fuel Consumption† = Distance Left on Tank".

†May be 'displayed' average fuel consumption or an internal average based on the average rate of consumption over a fixed distance (eg. L/KM for the last 10 KM). I'm not sure, but either would work, with the latter being a more accurate estimate.