PDA

View Full Version : Addendum to timing belt replacement instructions

volvo4fun
11-09-2010, 05:30 PM
2001 V70 T5

Wasted many hours today trying to get the new timing belt to go onto the tensioner pulley. Followed the instructions in the resources section to the letter.

Went as far as putting the old belt back on just to see if I wasn't crazy.

First of all the balancer needs to stay on the camshaft. There is absolutely no reason to remove it.

Second, the tensioner bolt needs to be unscrewed several turns, just enough to allow it to be rotated clockwise about twenty degrees. Doing this allows you to get the new belt on without a hitch.

Don't forget to put it back once the belt is on.

I had an original Volvo belt from FCP Groton.

Japedo
11-09-2010, 07:52 PM
did mine a couple weeks ago, had a few issues as well but got it done.

Glad yours went well, better then filling the dealers pockets.

Curtis

CBulen
11-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm helping my friend (who owns a 2001 V70 X/C) replace his timing belt. I found a component kit at Rockauto for his V70 that includes the belt, idler pulley, tensioning pulley and water pump (WP gasket is separate) for a reasonable price.

We just did his plugs and air cleaner, and out of curiousity, I pulled the timing belt cover off and looked under the cover in the wheel well, and it appears pretty easy (compared to my 93 MR2 Turbo),

I would like to review the official Volvo instructions on doing this job, before we tackle it, just because I like to be well prepared. Does anyone have a link or a PDF or something that is a copy of the Volvo manual covering the timing belt and water pump replacement?