PDA

View Full Version : Axle play

Forkster
11-06-2010, 09:09 PM
How much play should I expect in the front axles? My front right - when it's on a lift, I can move them slightly around a few mm. Is that normal?

kamiar
11-06-2010, 09:27 PM
what direction you move them?

RockitShip
11-07-2010, 04:03 AM
I heard up to an 1/8th of an inch or 0.125" is OK (for you folks who like decimal figures). A "few mm" doesn't sound good. I also heard you can check to see of your inners are shot by holding the outside (wheel) facing shaft and then holding the inner side (engine) and turning in opposite directions... like an indian burn... and if there's any play at all it's shot.FWIW I've been reading it's mostly the inner sides that are shot... I'm looking into what causing my acceleration vibrations and coming to think it's an axle or two, meh.

howardc64
11-07-2010, 08:36 AM
On my 01 T5, I can rock both drive axles around a little. I don't know how far it travels but I'd say at least 1-2mm+. I thought this might have been a source of clunk but it turned out to be the good old 100k mi+ end links. Volvo techs in other forums wasn't concerned about this movement when I was searching for this clunk.

On my 01 V70XC, it seems to rock a little or no movement at all at different times I've checked it. Perhaps where it is in the rotation matters.

Neither car has any driving or vibration problems.

wgriswold
11-07-2010, 12:10 PM
1/8" would be about 3mm. Whether that is a few or not, I don't know.