PDA

View Full Version : XC70 D5 (185) 2007 or V70 D5 (205) 2010

Explorer
11-01-2010, 03:36 AM
Hello,

I currently own a 3rd generation V70 D5 2011 year model however thinking of changing this to a 2nd generation XC70 D5 2007 model year with only 12,000 miles because i feel the quality of latest V70 is poor and will not last as long as the old volvos.

Any advice on the quality of the 2nd generation model and are you happy with the car ? I know most modern cars are based on recycled materials and the shell life is not as long as the old cars but i feel with the new V70 volvo has lost its mark - probably usuing the same suppliers as Ford

Thanks

Ocean Racer
11-01-2010, 04:07 AM
XC70 FTW !

Go with what you like. Upgrading power is very easy! (if that is important to you)

Explorer
11-01-2010, 05:23 AM
which one is better the 2nd generation model XC70 that ceased production in 2007 or the latest V70.

I do like the look of the 2nd generation XC70 but my only reservation is the turning circle and the occassional bouncy ride.

what do you think ?

in effect i will be moving from a nearly new V70 to a 2007 XC70 with only 12,000 miles on the clock. It is one owner car in good condition.

TiredGeek
11-01-2010, 09:02 AM
What spec is the XC70? SE, SE Sport or SE Lux? Manual or Auto? What options?
Tax is higher for the auto, insurance higher for the sport.

I believe RICA do a very succesful remap that'll give you the power, or more, of the newer 205 engine, but a different torque curve because of the one turbo. Don't ask me if it's true 'cos the wifey won't let me have it done.

As for which is "best", well, that's a hard question. There are more modern features on the new car (MP3 stereo for one) but the XC has the advantage of being the last of that model and so should have been pretty mechanically sorted.

I don't think the Volvo quality is there anymore. I have an '07 D5 185, and am not that impressed. Yeh, it's nice, feels sturdy etc. But quality..... not a great deal of difference between the Volvo and my last 14 year old Citroen XM. For a car that was roughly twice the cost of the Citroen (taking inflation etc into account) it doesn't show in the reliability or quality of the trim.

Niggles with the XC?
Headlight bulbs are extemely hard to get at, actually, ALL bulbs. Very little storage inside ('cos of all the airbags I 'spose). Turning circle. Air con condensor very vunerable to stones / corrosion. Front suspension bushes wear very quickly, as do engine mounts. ActiveC shockers are a shocker at about £1000 a pair. Paint seems to chip easily. Bumpers discolour quickly.

I do like the power though, and the fact that it got me through everything a northern Scottish winter could throw at it last year. It's nice, but I was expecting a bit more "something" from a car costing the best part of £40k...... I could have had a Discovery for the same sort of money ;)

Explorer
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
TiredGeek

Thanks for writing back Really appreciate your comments. The car is XC70 SE May 2007 – geartronic, electric folding mirrors, front parking sensors, and heated seat.

The main difference between this car and the SE lux model is – Four C chassis (don’t need it), electric passenger seat and upgraded stereo. Don’t have SATNAV but the current one in the V70 2011 model is a bit poor.

The car is one owner and only done 12,000 miles.

I know the tax will be higher at 224 co2 compared to my existing V70 which is approx £125.

I know the turning circle is poor however I get the feeling the xc70 2007 is better built compared to the current v70 ‘cos of not being influence by ford and less electronics controlling the car.

i like the look of the 2nd generation model - looks well built and still has the classic volvo look

jda2000
11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
P2 V70's are better looking than the P3's, but

according to consumer reports volvo's reliability has improved over the last couple of years. I believe Volvo's reliability score for 2010 models moved up 8 levels, ahead of bmw/mb/audi.

Read the later consumer reports ratings and decide, but I would keep the new one at least until the warranty is used up.

budrichard
11-02-2010, 01:34 AM
You have no credible way of knowing how your 3rd gen XC will perform, if you have, let me know and we will purchase some investments.
Selling your 3rd gen to purchase a used 2nd gen is crazy. Sorry to be so blunt but wait until you have some problems, you may never have any.
Anticipation of the future cannot be done on an individual basis, only statistically on a large database.-Dick

Explorer
11-02-2010, 02:42 AM
jda200

budrichard

thanks - both suggesting the same thing. I will stick with the 2011 V70 unless i get offered a really good part exchange value to move into the 2007 XC70 with only 12,000 miles.

V70 is a great car and i am getting 39 mpg from a manual box and average 70-75 mph.

BogdanG
11-03-2010, 01:37 AM
You are right, the 3rd generation V70 is based on mk4 Mondeo, like Mondeo it has a lot of problems, I recommend 2nd gen XC70, the 2007 year model has a lot of options like BLIS, FOUR-C, options that you`ll find in the 2011 XC70 but the P2 platform is better, I know a lot of peoples that switch back 2nd gen XC70 because of the reliability issues .

Explorer
11-03-2010, 03:15 AM
BogdanG

Cheers for your response even though i am confused and undecided. I am guessing the P2 platform is the 2nd generation 2007 model car.

I am test driving an old XC70 soon but it is 163 bhp and not the 185 bhp i am thinking of buying to get a feel of the car. I test drove one a few years back and remember the poor turning circle and the bouncy drive probably due to raised platform.

I have nothing against Ford but i feel the car has changed alot - the leather, the interior look etc.

It is a great opportunity to get into one of the last 2007 xc70 with only 12,000 miles and one owner. The big question is will it last like an old volvo and age well.

Adrian
11-03-2010, 05:58 AM
There is an entire world (including hell!) inbetween the 163 and 185. Please do not compare them performance-wise.

And yes, the turning circle isn't really that good, and the ride is a bit soft - but not bouncy, just soft and soothing.