PDA

View Full Version : Volvo OEM Wingprofile xbars

Brave855
10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi, have the wingprofile xbars and would like advice.

Already 2 times I lost the lower plactic caps that cover the ends of the xbars where they are fitted on the roofrails.

I know that xbars are quite popular in the USA and perhaps Canada too.
Wonder if some of you folks have encountered a similar issue and some creative minds found a smart solution.

I've been thinking about glue-ing the caps to the bars........your advice is welcome. Thx.

Brave855
11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Is there no-one on this forum who's encountered the same problem?

Any suggestions are welcome.

黎百龍

Ocean Racer
11-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Run a rubber membrane around the outer side of the caps so when they're inserted, they hold in with more force.

ifnt420
11-05-2010, 07:59 AM

黎百龍

You're having too much fun back in Europe, keep your speed below 200kmh so they don't fly off. :D

Sorry mate I have the Thule square bars so can't help. :o

Pennhaven
11-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Is there no-one on this forum who's encountered the same problem?

Brave,

Mine have remained intact for about five years. Seems as though your problem might relate to caps that weren't manufactured to the correct tolerance. Ocean Racer's idea should work. You could also use transparent kitchen wrap or a piece of a plastic bag to wedge the caps on tighter. Then trim of the exposed excess.

sjonnie
11-05-2010, 09:23 AM
I've been thinking about glue-ing the caps to the bars........your advice is welcome. Thx.

Silicone RTV sealant, it'll waterproof the end cap also. Might be a problem if you ever need to take the caps off for some reason though, I'm not familiar with how these bars work.

Brave855
11-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Ben, Sjonnie, Oceanracer, c.s.,

Thx for yr tips. I'll consider these in my quest to fit 'em so tight, that they won't blow off anymore.

Ben, you're right. I'm flying low in Germany regularly like once my early morning drives on Taipei's Sun Yat-sen freeway 1.

Thx again folks [thumbup]