PDA

View Full Version : DIY front control arm, tie rod ends and ball joint

big_stingray
10-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I did a relatively big job over the weekend replacing driver side front control arm, tie rod ends and ball joint of 2002 XC70. Here is the summary.

It was pretty clear to me ball joint and tie rod ends needed replacement. Wheel was kind of rattling. Tie rod end rubber casing was cracked. Control arm was kind of on the edge. I decided to replace it for three reasons. First, passenger side control arm bushing went south about 2 years ago, you would imagine drive side wouldn't last very long. Second, there was a tiny crack on the rear bushing. Third, I was going to replace ball joint anyway..... I bought whole control arm even though theoretically I could buy bushings only. Some research revealed pressing bushings in and out was no easy job so I spent the extra 100 bucks.

All pictures were taken while I put everything back together so they maybe confusing.

Here are steps:

First is caliper and ABS sensor, standard stuff.

Second is tie rod ends, pretty easy. Only trick is counting how many turns it takes. When you put on the new one, same number of turns so you don't screw up alignment too badly. (You need an alignment after this no matter what).

Third step is loose the ball joint nut so ball joint (and wheel spindle it attaches to) is detached from control arm. When you put on new one, be careful don't twist the ball joint rubber casing.

Fourth step is detaching wheel spindle from struts. See first picture. Now you can take wheel spindle off.

Next step is control arm. Two bolts in front bushing and one in rear bushing.

Next one is taking ball joint out of wheel spindle. Use a big screw driver and a hammer working on the flange of ball joint. Old ball joint out of wheel spindle and new ball joint.

By now you take taken everything apart. It is time to put them back.

Use a ball joint press borrowed from autozone, press new ball joint into wheel spindle. Be careful with bolts alignment!!! You basically only have one chance.

Put ever thing back in following order: control arm, wheel spindle with new ball joint, tie rod ends, caliper and ABS sensor.

Don't forget alignment!!!

Two tricks. First, when you tighten up nuts of ball joint and tie rod ends, hold bolt with allen wrench/regular wrench so rubber casings in both places don't get twisted. Second, count turns when you take off / put on tie rod ends.

Last point, whenever you work on suspension/steering, get a air powered impact wrench (and a decent one). don't cheap out on tools. They make huge differences.

I hope it's helpful.

skibo
10-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Nice write up - thanks for posting.

I'm surprised you need a press to get that ball joint out of the arm - the angle on the taper is so much steeper than the old GM stuff I'm used to dealing with it seems like these might just come apart when the tension on the stud is gone - looks like the taper is just to center the joint. Did you really need the press?

Later edit - perhaps the 'fit' is on the cylindrical portion of the ball joint. I'm used to stuff with long tapers and a shallow angle - the fit is on the taper itself.

taylor192
11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I assume replacing the tie rod ends on an 02 is very similar to this writeup for a 97-00:

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/inner-tie-rods.pdf