PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Ocean Race Blue Color

Chenango21
10-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm considering purchase of a 2006 XC70 Ocean Race edition....but I'm buying long distance and I haven't actually seen one in real life....what do folks think of the exterior color?

My alternative is a black one....but while I like it, I live in a hot climate and I know black shows dirt....

Thanks,
Paul

JRL
10-15-2010, 05:13 PM
It's OK. it's a personal choice
How can you buy a car if you don't know what it looks like?
However you will hardly ever see yourself coming or going

Buy the OR and be different

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww329/JRL1194/2006-volvo-xc70-ocean-race-edition_100031768_m.jpg

Ocean Racer
10-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Considering the first two XC70's I saw and wanted to buy were the blue Ocean Race editions - I like them. Hence my username :D

Chenango21
10-15-2010, 06:02 PM
"How can you buy a car if you don't know what it looks like?"

When I buy a used vehicle color ranks below miles and price as a factor....and here in NC there seem to be fewer xc70's available......

Thanks for the input,
Paul

Ocean Racer
10-15-2010, 06:19 PM
PM me the car info and I'll let you know if its a lemon or a good buy.
I am in AUstralia so dont worry I wont undercut you :)

Remember the Ocean Race edition is a limited edition make!
The blue is a gorgeous bright blue and has silver brushed aluminum trimmings.

Christov_Tenn
10-18-2010, 04:05 AM
From photographs, it looks like an almost flat, non-metallic nautical blue. Reminds me of some of the Z-Spar I used to paint with when I lived on the West Coast.

JRL
10-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Bad (pulled from the net) picture.
It's much "brighter" and lighter and is metallic

Willy
10-18-2010, 06:05 AM
I agree with JRL. If you scroll down this thread, you will see pictures that are more realistic in color:
http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/volvo/sujet18-840.htm
The car looks a bit flashy to me, but as already mentioned that's purely a matter of taste.
I think it is fair to say that you will be noticed driving an Ocean Race XC70 [cool2]
Willy

Ocean Racer
10-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Willy, don't let your neighbors know you speak french! :)

Another way to tell if its an Ocean Race blue is that it shares the same colour as the Australian sky.

JayPinNC
10-18-2010, 11:58 AM
"How can you buy a car if you don't know what it looks like?"

When I buy a used vehicle color ranks below miles and price as a factor....and here in NC there seem to be fewer xc70's available......

Thanks for the input,
Paul

Paul, what part of NC are you in?

Maybe it's the fact that I own one now, but I see XCs everywhere in the Raleigh area. And I've seen about a half-dozen O.R. models. You can always find plenty of XCs on Craigslist from dealers and private sellers.

Chenango21
10-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I think I wouldn't mind a little flashy blue, but the 06 Ocean Race sold....I've struck a deal for the black one which is an 07 with fewer miles (34k), cpo warranty, and less money. I think I'll like the peace of mind of the cpo for 3 more years or 100k miles.....more than enjoying the ocean race blue.
Thanks for the opinions.
Paul

JayPinNC....I'm in New Bern, NC

JayPinNC
10-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I think I wouldn't mind a little flashy blue, but the 06 Ocean Race sold....I've struck a deal for the black one which is an 07 with fewer miles (34k), cpo warranty, and less money. I think I'll like the peace of mind of the cpo for 3 more years or 100k miles.....more than enjoying the ocean race blue.
Thanks for the opinions.
Paul

JayPinNC....I'm in New Bern, NC

Does the black one have tinted windows - ignore what the law says and get them tinted and save your interior - maybe make friends at a local indy shop that is also a certified NC inspection station - they might be willing to look the other way when it comes to your tint if you give them enough business.

Chenango21
10-20-2010, 04:06 AM
JayPinNC,
I picked up the xc70 in Charleston yesterday and drove back to NC. Having never driven an xc70 for any length ot time (a few test drives only).....all my expectations were exceeded! The trip computer said I averaged 28.1mpg...sounds high...will need to check it out the old fashioned way.

Re tinted windows: the seller says it has factory tints....I haven't yet looked at the paperwork or really examined the degree of tint....will check it out more carefully today. Do you or anyone know about what kind of tint Volvo put on it....was it part of an option package?
Paul

Willy
10-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Willy, don't let your neighbors know you speak french! :)
Being a good Belgian citizen, I speak Flemish, French, German and a bit of English :D
Im curious about the tinted windows, are they forbidden in some regions/states/countries? And if so, why?
Willy

BillAileo
10-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Willy,
It is my understanding that many states within the US limit the amount of tinting that can be applied to windows so that police or other authorities that have reason to look have the ability to see the occupants of an approached vehicle, e.g., its a good idea to know if there is a guy in the back seat holding a weapon....

JRL
10-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Willy,
It is my understanding that many states within the US limit the amount of tinting that can be applied to windows so that police or other authorities that have reason to look have the ability to see the occupants of an approached vehicle, e.g., its a good idea to know if there is a guy in the back seat holding a weapon....

Actually nost states allow full dark from the B pillar back, it's the front side glass that each state has different laws.
But.. wagons and SUVs, they're usually allowed very dark rear tint.

Probably buying the black was a wise decision.
If you didn't care all that much about "must owning" an Ocean Blue, the newer the vehicle with a warranty is always preferred

n00bkiller944
10-20-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm surprised you haven't linked this yet Ocean Racer...

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=119082

He took some good pics of his car that really show how awesome the color is! I say buy it!