PDA

View Full Version : Hard Start Up

Seamus
10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Over the past year, our XC has had trouble starting up. It starts up, but after cranking 3-5 seconds, war, or cold and it doesn't feel right. Just had one of the injectors and coil packs replaced, but that was a different issue. Its a 2001 with 105K. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Seamus

howardc64
10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Just a guess, either fuel or spark is missing when it doesn't start for 3-5 seconds at startup. Fuel system seems more complicated to me and as a guess perhaps more prone to startup failure. Perhaps pressure after shutdown? I'd start by studying the fuel system first.

If you turn off the key and start right back up, do you get 3-5 second delay?

xcbody
10-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Hi,
Had a similar issue with my D5, hard to start and sounded like it was missing with a point on the rotation where it seemed like there was no 'kick' at all.

Turned out to be the flexplate, a section was missing teeth and had badly worn teeth either side of it.

New part was 280 euro and 3 days to do the job

Jerrymcc
10-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Over the past year, our XC has had trouble starting up. It starts up, but after cranking 3-5 seconds, war, or cold and it doesn't feel right. Just had one of the injectors and coil packs replaced, but that was a different issue. Its a 2001 with 105K. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Seamus

Fuel pressure needs to be checked...There is a schrader valve on the left end of the fuel rail for checking the pressure...It should be 45 PSI while running...After shut down pressure must be maintained to at least 29 PSI for more than 20 minutes...If it drops rapidly after shut down, "resting pressure" is not being maintained and vapor lock occurs which drains the fuel lines all the way back to the tank, and it takes a lot of cranking to get the pressure back up at the next start...There is a one way check valve in the fuel pump that maintains the resting pressure and it might mean the pump needs to be replaced...

Jerry

Seamus
10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I really appreciate it. We'll have to get it looked at after timing belt, and spring seats are taken care of [cussing]