PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a front license plate

carcentric
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Our 2004 XC70 came from a state that didn't require a front license plate - where we live does require both front and rear.

1. Should there be a bracket of some sort on the front bumper for a plate, or is the plate just bolted directly to the bumper?

2. Do the bolts that go into the bumper have metric or SAE threads?

If there is a bracket, I'd appreciate seeing a photo of it so I know what to look for at a salvage yard.

Thanks,

MoeB
10-12-2010, 01:44 PM
They make one that looks like the picture below. There should be two small indents on the bumper where the screws fasten the bracket to the bumper.

You don't need to use the bracket, though. Just screw the plate into the bumper with some appropriately sized sheet metal screws.

JRL
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't do that, buy the bracket

billr99
10-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Our 2004 XC70 came from a state that didn't require a front license plate - where we live does require both front and rear.

1. Should there be a bracket of some sort on the front bumper for a plate, or is the plate just bolted directly to the bumper?

2. Do the bolts that go into the bumper have metric or SAE threads?

If there is a bracket, I'd appreciate seeing a photo of it so I know what to look for at a salvage yard.

Thanks,
The threaded holes in the bumper are metric and there are two sets. Neither is spaced for US (or Canada) plates but one set is spaced so you can use the OEM bracket. As JRL says, the right way is to use the bracket and if you do FCP or similar, they are really cheap.

Cheers,

Bill

n00bkiller944
10-12-2010, 02:47 PM
I think I have a few extra brackets laying around at home if you are interested... I know I have like 5 in my garage, but I am not sure if they are for the front or the back. I can compare it to mine later for you if you want?

carcentric
10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I think I have a few extra brackets laying around at home if you are interested... I know I have like 5 in my garage, but I am not sure if they are for the front or the back. I can compare it to mine later for you if you want?

That would be appreciated - I can PayPal you some $ once you know what you have and what you want for it. Include shipping to zipcode 98058 in your price.

I neglected to mention in my first post that there are NO holes in the front bumper cover now, so I need to know (if there are factory holes in the metal under the cover) where I need to cut away the cover to expose those holes. Or (if I just use sheet metal screws) where NOT to drill if there are areas to avoid!
:eek:

Ocean Racer
10-12-2010, 06:58 PM
In Australia we just drill holes into the bumper. Seriously :(

carcentric
10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
In Australia we just drill holes into the bumper. Seriously :(

With any other car, that's what I'd do, too, but this is a Volvo XC70 - drill in the wrong place and you'll ruin the warp drive dynamic flux capacitor ($2,400 plus 15 hours of labor to replace)!
[thumbup]

Ocean Racer
10-12-2010, 11:39 PM
With any other car, that's what I'd do, too, but this is a Volvo XC70 - drill in the wrong place and you'll ruin the warp drive dynamic flux capacitor ($2,400 plus 15 hours of labor to replace)!
[thumbup]

ahhh so thats why that numerical display on my centre console doesn't work properly.
[cool2]

MoeB
10-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Just look for the two little indents...on mine they were perfectly positioned to avoid fluxing up the capacitance.

billr99
10-13-2010, 05:14 AM
In VIDA (ver. 2008C), it shows a possibility of two part numbers located where the plate bracket is mounted on the front bumper. Part number 987282 is described as an "expanding nut" and must be the nutsert-like thing that my bumper has. The second number is 1247291 described as a sealing plug, possibly implying that the bumper cover is molded with a hole accepting one of these two parts. On the other hand, perhaps the dealers sort it by drilling the holes :eek: and installing the appropriate parts upon delivery dependent on what their market requires. My car came out of the GTA where a front plate is required hence the threaded holes.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
10-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Front and rear brackets are about the same
You can use the more common rear on the front by adding a couple of washers on the bumper before you do the final bolt up.
The only difference is that it's bent slightly differently and angled out

skibo
10-13-2010, 05:33 AM
I live in Pennsylvania where no front plate is required, and the local cars have no holes in the bumper. I bought mine in Ohio where front plates are required, and the dealer put two threaded inserts in the bumper. I was annoyed at first, and then decided that they might come in handy someday, but am now annoyed again because they have begun to rust.

I've never noticed indents, but I walk by an XC every night on the way home - will check this afternoon.

carcentric
10-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Just look for the two little indents...on mine they were perfectly positioned to avoid fluxing up the capacitance.

How far down from the top of the bumper cover should I be looking (I don't see any indents)? And how far apart? I assume they'd be centered on the bumper cover left-to-right.

MoeB
10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
About where the yellow arrows are. Wife has the car right now so cant measure them, but I'm guessing they were spaced about 5 to 6 inches apart.

ocean 506
10-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I can measure mine if you like. I replaced the Bumper a few years back after some spirited off roading and have yet to re mount the plate using the crush nuts. The dimples are easy to see.
Jon

JRL
10-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I wish you all would use some common sense.
Hold the plate in front of the car.
Center it.
If it looks right, (or if you like where it is) double check for the center of the car, hold the plate bracket up to the bumper, then mark and drill the damn holes.
Obviously buy the bracket before you drill anything

This thread is not worth two pages.

Fire away boys at me for pointing out the (obvious) absurdity of this thread.
These are not Ferraris where one may want to hide the plate or not mount one at all.
An XC (or any Volvo) has a LARGE front bumper which BEGS for a front plate :D

Here:
I ran outside on a fracking cold and windy day and took a damn picture just for you.
Now.... will you PLEASE figure this out and DRILL the damn holes already!

(I apologize for the old, semi corroded bracket, but this is a 6 year old car and they get this way back East).
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww329/JRL1194/bracket.jpg

MoeB
10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Lmao!!

Ocean Racer
10-15-2010, 06:21 PM
JRL, can you take a pic of the back plate for us :D

j/k

n00bkiller944
10-15-2010, 06:32 PM
JRL can we get a picture of you drilling the holes to demonstrate as well? Maybe a DIY is in order :) LOL i liked that post Jim

ocean 506
10-15-2010, 06:37 PM
JRL point taken... Now if anyone can suggest a set of tires...
jon