PDA

View Full Version : 01 XC brake booster

jmoser
10-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Pedal hissing, looks like a new booster is needed.

Are there any misc. small parts involved or just the booster? Any tips, hints, or kinks in this or is it a straight up DIY replacement?

howardc64
10-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Pedal hissing, looks like a new booster is needed.

Are there any misc. small parts involved or just the booster? Any tips, hints, or kinks in this or is it a straight up DIY replacement?

Pretty straight forward although removing+bolting the 4 nuts on inside the cabin is a pain.. You will be a contortionist and it has quite a bit of resistance.

Left some notes here

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14571

One Volvo tech mentioned you can replace this without removing the brake fluid lines and the ABS unit. From what I recall, not much space in there to do that.

jmoser
10-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the link.

Can't wait - this sounds like a real joy.

jda2000
10-04-2010, 01:04 PM
I did this a couple of months ago, so here a few tips:

-indeed there is no need to disconnect the ABS hydraulic lines, there is enough room to pull booster out.
-you need to remove the plastic turbo intake pipe though, (clean the PTC while is out and this is a good time to replace the tcv vacuum lines, if original).
-buy new, not used or rebuilt
-remove the brake pedal sensor and check valve from old unit and save as spares.
-adjust the brake light switch after replacement

Deadman514
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I was told I need to replace my check valve and received one in the mail today. Wondering before I kill myself searching for it...where exactly it's located.
Not the t valve with the switch. The check valve that would normally go on the booster (in every other application I've seen).

Thanks!