PDA

View Full Version : Bevel/angle gear saga continues

Champ324
09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Earlier I write that my local Volvo dealer noted "seepage" in my bevel gear.

After that, I went to a reputable local garage with many years experience working on Volvos and had them change the bevel gear fluid - at a cost of about two-thirds what the dealer would have charged.

Today I returned to the same shop for an oil change and to replace a burned out oil light bulb and they detected a "serious" leak in the differential and the turbo seals.

They now want about $400 to replace seals in both.

My question is this: Is it possible that when their mechanics replaced the bevel gear fluid two months ago that they failed to tighten or otherwise affected the seals in a way that caused them to leak?

Just wondering.....and frustrated.

Thanks.

billr99
09-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Earlier I write that my local Volvo dealer noted "seepage" in my bevel gear.

After that, I went to a reputable local garage with many years experience working on Volvos and had them change the bevel gear fluid - at a cost of about two-thirds what the dealer would have charged.

Today I returned to the same shop for an oil change and to replace a burned out oil light bulb and they detected a "serious" leak in the differential and the turbo seals.

They now want about $400 to replace seals in both.

My question is this: Is it possible that when their mechanics replaced the bevel gear fluid two months ago that they failed to tighten or otherwise affected the seals in a way that caused them to leak?

Just wondering.....and frustrated.

Thanks.
No. Both of the issues you have noted are totally unrelated to the bevel gear and are really not even in the same area. If you suspect the shop had some part in the problems described, then it would only be explained by tampering. Turbo seals can happen, diff seals not so much. More than likely just a coincidence but I'd suggest getting another opinion just not at the dealer or this shop obviously. Both might just be going for revenue enhancement.

Good luck,

Bill