PDA

View Full Version : 2001 xc70 rear view mirror dimmer

massnyvolvo
09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
It seems as though my auto dimmer is not doing it's job. I looked in the manual to see where the fuse is (if in fact it's blown fuse), but can't find the location. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?
Thanks!!!

JRL
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
If it's not actually broken inside the glass and it looks OK, you may need to reset the program.

(Volvo dealer thru their computer. Not software, just an adjustment.
Adjust it to full dark)

massnyvolvo
09-22-2010, 02:54 PM
The glass is ok. It's just stopped dimming. I'll ask the dealer or my mechanic.
Thanks for the info!

Puff The Magic Wagon!
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
If you have tinted rear screen then it wont work probably.

billr99
09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
If you have tinted rear screen then it wont work probably.

It doesn't; at least, not very well. Easiest way to check is open the tail gate and then hold your hand over the sensor on the back of the mirror. If it is working properly you'll see it dim. On my XC which has a pretty dark rear tint, it dims a lot more doing this test than it does at night when a car is behind you.

Cheers,

Bill

n00bkiller944
09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Thats weird I will have to check that out. I have some pretty dark tint, and haven't really noticed (or paid attention) to it dimming less.

lehua768
09-29-2010, 05:34 PM
It doesn't; at least, not very well. Easiest way to check is open the tail gate and then hold your hand over the sensor on the back of the mirror. If it is working properly you'll see it dim. On my XC which has a pretty dark rear tint, it dims a lot more doing this test than it does at night when a car is behind you.Thats weird I will have to check that out. I have some pretty dark tint, and haven't really noticed (or paid attention) to it dimming less. It seems as though my auto dimmer is not doing it's job. I looked in the manual to see where the fuse is (if in fact it's blown fuse), but can't find the location. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

RockitShip
09-29-2010, 10:02 PM
What expensive and tedious pains in the asses these mirrors are. When mine poops, I will get the old-flip-style mirror... hopefully it won't throw a code. Sometimes being low-tech is alright with me.

n00bkiller944
09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
What expensive and tedious pains in the asses these mirrors are. When mine poops, I will get the old-flip-style mirror... hopefully it won't throw a code. Sometimes being low-tech is alright with me.

I completely disagree. I hate the old style flip mirrors, I always have issues with glare and them never really working correctly. I love the auto dimming, it works perfect for me and is always extremely comfortable on my eyes.

RockitShip
09-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I completely disagree. I hate the old style flip mirrors, I always have issues with glare and them never really working correctly. I love the auto dimming, it works perfect for me and is always extremely comfortable on my eyes.

To each their own. While it is a neat thing to have, I don't appreciate having to go to the dealer to spend $100 just to reset my mirrors level (I personally find it inadequate in blocking light) when it should be a function the owner can control, or forking over $400 to $600 for a replacement. However, my mirror has performed flawlessly and it is not broken.

jmoser
09-30-2010, 09:13 AM
My 01XC mirror is kaput as well for sometime now - there are threads on this, bad units from the supplier, they offer subsidized replacements [not a recall] but the Volvo mirror also houses complex electronics so you are a slave to the stealership to reprogram all of it - what a useless POS design and another reason on a long list why this is my 1st and last Volvo ever.

n00bkiller944
09-30-2010, 11:35 AM
^^^Good point from the cost aspect. Im sure I will hate the damn thing when it breaks...

2008XC70
08-26-2014, 11:07 PM
If it's not actually broken inside the glass and it looks OK, you may need to reset the program.

(Volvo dealer thru their computer. Not software, just an adjustment.
Adjust it to full dark)

The only function you can do in VIDA is read what the UEM's programmed value is: "Normal", "Light", "Dark". To change that value, you have no choice but to purchase the software from the dealer to do so. For some reason, it's not as easy as turning of your daytime-running lights (no software). Just experienced this with a 2001 T5.

JRL
08-27-2014, 05:40 AM
You are right, I was thinking about seat heat which is an adjustment

2008XC70
08-27-2014, 09:15 AM
You are right, I was thinking about seat heat which is an adjustment

Yeah that's true. I'm not sure why they wouldn't let us have this adjustment. I went through the trouble of replacing the old lava-lamp style mirror glass from another good mirror and did not know that this car was set to allow more light in before going dark. Maybe i'll try putting some light tint on the mirror just for the hell of it.