PDA

View Full Version : More Maintenance :D

Seamus
09-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey guys (again)

Doing a lot of repairs to the XC this week, and was wondering what kinds of tires are good, price range, 0-125$ each. Also getting a polyurethane top motor mount. I heard these may cause more vibration? any luck with these? Also, lots of clunking from the front end when going over big dips or those nasty parking lot ramps.
Thanks,
Seamus

JayPinNC
09-20-2010, 05:00 PM
1. I have Firestone Firehawk tires. I really like them. They're affordable and do well on the car. I know I'm not the only one on the forum who has them installed and likes them.

2. Have someone you trust sit in the driver seat and apply the brake and put the car in drive while you torque the bushing. It made a WORLD of difference for me. It removed 90% of my vibration right away and another 9% went away over the coming weeks. My sunroof slider still vibrates like mad at certain stops/times.

3. Clunking could be spring seats. Does the problem go away later in the day after driving a while? I'm waiting to get new front struts to do mine.

Seamus
09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Excited to see the difference in the motor mounts.
And the clunking does seem to be reduced after driving a while, but i think it may be a tie rod on its way out :(. And how good are those Firehawks in the snow? they seem very affordable, but RI got slammed with a 22" snow storm last year, so i need a tire that performs well in the snow...

JayPinNC
09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Excited to see the difference in the motor mounts.
And the clunking does seem to be reduced after driving a while, but i think it may be a tie rod on its way out :(. And how good are those Firehawks in the snow? they seem very affordable, but RI got slammed with a 22" snow storm last year, so i need a tire that performs well in the snow...

The Firehawks saved my butt in a snowstorm on a trip from NC to SC this past February. It felt very much like a New England snowstorm. We moved down here from CT and I'd trust those tires up there as well.

Go look at a set in the store and see. Definitely a beefier tire.

Although, let's be fair to the car - it does do well in those conditions. The tires are what connect all that technology to the driving surface.

Seamus
09-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the advice :). Besides, they have to be better than my almost bald, noisy scorpions. Good price too from TireBuyer.com, 347 with free shipping :D

JayPinNC
09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the advice :). Besides, they have to be better than my almost bald, noisy scorpions. Good price too from TireBuyer.com, 347 with free shipping :D

347 is decent. I knocked the price of mine down by taking my old tires with me (Saved $40 recycling fee). I don't think it was too much more than your $347 installed and out the door. Do you install them yourself?

Seamus
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah, thats just the price online with free shipping. I'll take it to my uncle's garage, he has balancer alignment. etc... tirerack.com sells them for 78 a tire, but shipping is over $100, insane.

Seamus
09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Has anybody tried the Yokahoma Avid Envigor on their XC yet? Looks like a good tire as well.

carcentric
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
. . . what kinds of tires are good, price range, 0-125$ each. . . .

Don't know about snow performance specifically, but here's a recommendation for what it's worth:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119838&postcount=338
[thumbup]

Seamus
09-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Well, we'll have to see. Forgot to add a faulty fuel injector that causes the whole car to shake and have no acceleration. Just an add-on to the long list of to-do's. But the car's features and performance definitely make up for it :D