PDA

View Full Version : 98 V70XC funny noises and sluggish when cold.

cnics
09-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi guys. I've recently had a few bits done to my XC. The front joint on the prop shaft was completely shot so i had that replaced and all is well.

However i have a rattle when i go over a bump coming from the Front left hand side, it's noticeable going over bumps and more so when turning right and going over uneven road surface. It's not a squeak as such so i have almost ruled out the suspension side of things. Bumping on the front of the car doesn't make the noise. I'm wondering if its a drive shaft problem?

Also, i get 2 noises. The first is from cold after an overnight rest for the car, for the first 5 minutes or so i get an engine speed related whine that's really quite noticeable. When the temperature gauge is about halfway between cold and its normal operating level this seems to go away. It only comes back if the car has been stood for a good few hours.

The second noise i get is road speed related and is more of a whistling noise, sometimes it comes on at low speed, other times at motorway speed. It comes to a complete stop when you stop the vehicle of course but generally if you set off again (say at traffic lights) it doesn't re-appear.

Finally, the car appears sluggish when cold. Almost as if it's running on 4 instead of 5. If you put your foot down a bit when its just up to temperature and for a few minutes after it feels like it's not firing properly and really holds back until about 4000rpm. As it reaches 4000 it comes to life and you feel the car accelerate as it should. After it has been up to temp a few minutes this goes away and everything is back to normal........ although.....

The other day after a motorway drive at speeds higher than perhaps i should have been i stopped just off my motorway exit to have a look if i could see anything wrong (heard noise number 2, road speed related). I couldn't see anything, the bonnet was down properly, nothing was falling off, and so on. I got back in the car and pulled away, i needed to pull away sharply as it's an awkward layby to get out of, and the car just seemed to find an extra bit of power than i've ever known. For the remainder of the journey i felt as if i'd gained 40bhp or so, the car responded quicker, and pulled from 0-60 in what felt like 75% of the time i'd ever known. Alas, the following day it was back to "normal", with the sluggish cold start and the whining noise and the rattle and the interior light not coming on and the back door not unlocking and the air con not working, etc etc. The car i have come to love...

Any ideas on any of the above much appreciated. Even if it's potentially bad news.

Rob

BillAileo
09-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Rob,

A couple guesses:

The rattle going over the bumb might be a bad sway bar endlink.

Perhaps the whistling noise is a wheel bearing going bad.

The Collapser
09-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Rob,
i know i sound like a broken record but the "rattling" sound is popular subject on here. contrary to your belief i think it IS a suspension thing and i'd bet the house that it's a bad strut mount. make sure to replace the mount AND the bushing though. easy fix.

as for the cold related "whine".... I'd chalk that up to a 12 year old turbo system that's a hair noisy when cold. that's just a guess.

JRL
09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Spring seat is probably broken or a brokensway bar link
Is your cold noise a loud whining noise? If so and you have a 98 you may need a new SAS
(secondary air pump)

cnics
10-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi guys, sorry for not getting back. Work has been very busy of late. Unfortunately i've not even been in the car for a couple of weeks as i've been working everyday so using the van. A few answers to questions.

The turbo, is less than 2 years old, it was put on about 6 months before i bought the car by the main dealer.
I shall look into the SAS.
I shall also check out all the bits mentioned that are (or could be) related to the rattling.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob