PDA

View Full Version : Relationship between fuel gauge and 'miles to empty' number.

JayPinNC
09-17-2010, 09:43 AM
So, I replaced 2/3 of my turbo vacuum lines this past week and see a noticeable difference in power. When I changed them out, I was down to about 1/8th of a tank of gas.

On Monday, I filled up and noticed my 'miles to empty' was up slightly to about 420 (vs 380 on my last fill up). Now I know there are some factors here other than new vacuum lines, but...

I've gone all week on the same tank of gas and while my 'miles to empty' has gone down pretty normally, my fuel gauge has barely moved 1/8th.

In fact, it was only this morning that I had noticed that it moved at all.

I'm thinking of topping off at the same pump to see how many gallons I put in to figure out which one is right, but wanted to ask here first:

Does anybody know how the two (gauge and miles to empty) work together? Or are the independent of each other?

Q-ship
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I think the miles to empty simply multiplies your average consumption by the gallons remaining. So if you are getting better mileage now it will take awhile to pull the average up (increase in range on the MTE)

JayPinNC
09-17-2010, 01:27 PM
And I think the average is taken over the most current 12 miles driven. So, like you said, maybe the average just takes some time to catch up. Thanks for chiming in.