PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question - oil change reminder light

ForestRanger
09-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Ok - so I got the oil changed in advance of a cross-country (Ha!) road-trip back in the spring a 2000km shy of when it was due. Running synthetic I try and change around 10000km unless it's dirty before.

The service indicator light came on well shy of my 10000km mark and I was able to deactivate it with no problems.

I've since just got the oil changed again... but the timing of when that light is going to come on is out of sync with my last oil change (i.e. it's going to come on partway to the next 10000km interval).

Will performing the service indicator light reset routine after every oil change (despite the light not being lit) reset the computer's "counter" ?

RockitShip
09-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Reprogramming the SRI interval requires a VADIS tool AFAIK (an OBDII reader will not suffice). Factory set SRI will continue to come on at exact interval, regardless of when/mileage you decide to reset. So yes, you will be out of sync.

Edit: more info found... apparently all 3 parameters of time, engine time, and distance are programed in and perhaps programmable?
Apparently the car can decide from whichever parameter is reached first? I need my DIM rebuilt anyway... and programming is done through the DIM, perhaps BBA reman. can do that as well.

Note! From and including model year 2002, the service reminder indicator (SRI) has been replaced with a text message display.
There are three parameters which can be programmed for the service interval. These parameters govern when the service reminder indicator (SRI) lights:
-Distance, indicates the mileage between service intervals
-Time, indicates the number of months between service interval
-Engine time, indicates the number of engine hours between service intervals.
The service reminder indicator (SRI) is lit by the parameter that is reached first.
All parameters are programmed at the factory. The values are market dependent.
The mileage can be set to miles or km.
The service interval is programmed via the vehicle communication socket under function group 3, central electronic module (CEM), Programming the driver information module (DIM).

Ozzie
09-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Will performing the service indicator light reset routine after every oil change (despite the light not being lit) reset the computer's "counter" ?

I believe the answer is "yes".

Volvo resets mine at every oil change (3K for me) and the service light has never come on.