PDA

View Full Version : Drill and Tap Diff and Bevel Gear

DHTD
09-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Im thinking I want to tackle this when I change the fluids. Does anybody have a link to volvo's method of adding a drain plug in these areas? I remember reading in a search somebody mentioning that volvo has a method? Any help appreciated.

tapanitja
09-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi, I have the same problem with my V70D5AWD-05. It has the 6geartronic automatic and the bevel gear looks different from previous models.
I checked the six o'clock body bolt but it's not as such ready for draining.
In previous bg it sould be possible to drill the body bolt to drain the oil, but here one also can clearly see the oil pan design, which is not the case in my bg.
Tried to pump out the old oil but it was a mess as oil is thick and heavy so I will try again later with new mityvac like hand device.
br Tapsa
ps. one link to older design I got earlier
do some googling for more info on this. There are lots of write-ups on this.
Here's one:
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/AWD_bevelgear_diff_service.html

DHTD
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Oh wow, thats very smart. I was thinking drill/tap or weld a bung, that is way easier!! And it should seal better with some Gasoila compound on the threads.

gibbons
09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I used my mityvac on the bevel gear and it worked fine. I put a piece of welding rod in the pump's tube so I could direct the hose positively to the bottom. If the oil is too viscous, just prop a 100W shop light by the case for an hour or so to thin it up.