PDA

View Full Version : No more v70?!

Seamus
09-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I just went on the Volvo website and its official. There is no more V70, and now there is a FWD XC70!! That is depressing.

sjonnie
09-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Yep
http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16855

Seamus
09-07-2010, 05:36 PM
A fwd XC70 just doesnt sound right

DHTD
09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Why is it so depressing I dont understand. The xc looks better and is higher off the ground, better suspension, bigger fatter tires, am I missing something? Seriously am I? Why would anybody miss having the V70 all by itself?

Seamus
09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Becasue, a fwd XC70 wouldn't be nearly as capable as an awd one, so that is just degrading it. And, the V70 has been around for such a long time, its a shame to see it go...

Adrian
09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
10 bucks says they will be cutting down on the extras as well. The bigger fatter tires, better suspension and drivetrain etc. This is sad. In europe we still have the V70, it sells good.

Seamus
09-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Maybe this has something to do with the new V60 coming out :o

mrslomo
09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Although I'm a member of this Cross Country site, I started driving "regular" Volvo wagons because of the versatility and utilitarian aspects. Our "regular" wagons can go most anywhere the XCs can go with the exception of true off-roading.

My former 1990 740 made it to Alaska and back without a hitch. We also have a 2004 V70 2.5T that made it thru a snowstorm whilst tailing a Subaru 75 miles going eastbound I-80 uphill thru the Rocky Mountains and only to be stopped at Laramie, WY due to highway closures. This nimble wagon was zipping past everyone since most vehicles including huge SUVs were gingerly navigating the right lanes. Another example was driving 35-miles (without our Spider chains) over ice and snow to reach the Grand Canyon's North Rim... which is unplowed during the late-fall/winter months. I should also mention that this particular V70 has the 17-inch rims with original Pirelli tires and can peel rubber as well as take me from San Francisco to Santa Barbara on 40-mpg (not a typo... Hwy. 101 is extremely flat and we don't go over 2000 rpm).

I absolutely love both the XCs and V70s. While attending recent events at my local dealer (customer appreciation day and the Naughty S60), they tried to sell me on how nice the V70 will be with the XC body styling. There is no fooling me. The V70 should retain its own individual look. Otherwise, loyal customers may have to purchase used V70s in the future.

DHTD
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
40 mpg is impressive, but I call bs. Im trying to imagine achieving 40 mpg in an optomistic way by thinking of a soft foot, never letting the turbo boost, going downhill with a backwind....Uhh I still dont see it happening....

Maybe I should try to drive under 2000 rpm and see for myself? Or the alternative...I can drive my family in a normal fashion and can get where I need to go in under 2 weeks...:D

mrslomo
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
40 mpg is impressive, but I call bs. Im trying to imagine achieving 40 mpg in an optomistic way by thinking of a soft foot, never letting the turbo boost, going downhill with a backwind....Uhh I still dont see it happening....

Maybe I should try to drive under 2000 rpm and see for myself? Or the alternative...I can drive my family in a normal fashion and can get where I need to go in under 2 weeks...

I understand that 40-mpg from our 2004 V70 2.5T sounds like wishful thinking. Believe me, I didn't believe it myself initially, but it's been repeated each time we've driven down to Santa Barbara from The City for the Annual Bastille Day Festival in July. None of our other vehicles have ever come close. This drive would typically begin at 4am to avoid literally all traffic and stops. There is no impedance and the road conditions are optimal for a straight through drive. Plus, the two of us don't even add up to 275-lb. of weight.

My husband drives our vehicles very gently and doesn't generally go over 60-mph (and even slower when approaching hills). This mode of driving requires either nerves of steel (since everyone else will be flying past you) or a "laissez faire" attitude which he's adopted. But, feather-light and steady on the gas is the key.

We've been taking nice long road trips for over 25 years and I'm a stickler for writing down all expenditures and miles driven. A dedicated "ledger" book exclusively for our travels is always brought along for entering details as they occur. Very rarely do we achieve this "dream" mpg.

But then, since the above isn't a typical everyday scenario, I conducted an informal experiment yesterday for a more reasonably achievable mpg. Hubby didn't (and still doesn't) know his driving skills were being put to the test. We were due at a gathering in San Ramon (in the East Bay) and this presented a perfect opportunity to check the V70 2.5T's mpg against hubby's driving. Not having his driving discipline, my mpg rating would be just average.

1. Fill up gas tank. Odometer now at 39528 miles. It's now mid-morning Saturday and there's a bit of traffic about.
2. Leave San Francisco via the Bay Bridge to Oakland's Claremont district to pick up our favorite Irish Soda Bread and then to Berkeley's Gourmet Ghetto area for snack and shopping.
3. Leave for San Ramon but encountered a bit of stop-and-go traffic leading to the Caldecott Tunnel. The gathering is held deep in the canyons of San Ramon.
4. Drive back to San Francisco via a different route. Turn on the AC since it's quite warm today. Cross over the San Mateo Bridge and make an errand stop in The City.
5. Return to same gas station and same gas pump. Odometer is now at 39630 miles. Pump stops at 3.549 gallons.
6. Verdict: 28.74-mpg. Quite a difference in mixed driving versus primo-optimal highway conditions.

What I've discovered is that hubby likes to drive about 58-60-mph on level roads @ approx. 1750-1800 rpm and 50-mph @ about 1500 rpm on slight uphills. The original sticker rated this vehicle at 21-mpg/city & 31-mpg hwy. This is one reason why I'll miss the V70s in 2011.

mrslomo
09-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Or the alternative...I can drive my family in a normal fashion and can get where I need to go in under 2 weeks...

Or just have a wonderful time reliving the past when 55-mph was the normal speed limit. Feel free to go a few miles faster if it gives you a thrill. [thumbup]

DHTD
09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I may have to agree with you on missing the v70. My 98 has gotten a solid 30 MPG driving from LA to Santa Maria with the AC full blast and going 80 MPH the entire way. I bought my 05 XC a few weeks ago and Im lucky to get much past 300 miles per fill up with mixed highway/city.

...and I will continue to drive the crud out of my cars within reason....and yes it gives me a slight thrill, thanks for your concern.

dkingpro
09-23-2010, 06:25 AM
At various times I get: high beams will not stay on, bottom of driver's cluster all go blank, fogs (front & back) will not come on, radio will not work. The very next time car is cranked all of this works normally.
Have worked through and changed several fuses..something else is definitely going on....prefer not to go to the shop and have them 'pull the codes' and pay a big fat charge for an electrical component I can buy and replace myself. Anyone been down this road?
I am piggy-backing on this post since I have not figured out how to properly create a new post...just signed up yesterday...duh! Owned7