PDA

View Full Version : Just found out my oil filter hasnt been changed in 3 years

Meat Popsicle
08-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Took my xc to the standard place where I found out today that they have never been able to remove the oil filter since i bought it. So all they have done is just change the oil.:mad:

This is the issue. I replaced the CVVT today before changing it I got my oil changed.

The new manager at the place claims the CVVT runs off of start up oil pressure and if the filter is clogged (i am sure it is) it will not produce enough pressure for the cvvt to work properly at initial turn over. One it does start it will bypass the oil filter and the cvvt will run correctly.

Tonight I am buying a large channel lock and removing the filter cover and checking this out.

Does this make sense.

PS:

after replacing the cvvt she starts just fine and runs reallll smooth.but the CEL will come on every two or three starts P0013.

jda2000
08-31-2010, 01:13 PM
I would ask for a refund for all the oil filters that have not been changed and not patronize that place any more.

JRL
08-31-2010, 02:11 PM
I also would SEAFOAM that XC right away THEN change the oil AND filter again.
Try a dealer once in a while, at least they wouldn't do that

n00bkiller944
08-31-2010, 02:43 PM
All i can say is HOLY SHI* I'm sorry that happened bro

JayPinNC
08-31-2010, 03:37 PM
+1 on the HOLY SHI*

How may oil changes are we talking here? That's huuuuuge.

Meat Popsicle
08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
6 oil changes, I have been all over creation thisafernoon looking for the ast410 oil filter wrench, nobody carries it! If they did they sold it last weekend.
On my way to home depot to find a large pair of channel locks.

I spoke to a volvo mechanic he said the theory is sound regarding the VVT using startup oil pressure to reset and to adjust inorder to start.

I just changed the VVT at noon.

I guess there is an oil bypass in our oil system? He says my filter is prolly plugged to hell and Im lucky it hasnt done anything else. but the oil system is designed to handle issue like this.

billr99
08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Stories like this are amongst the good reasons to do this type of work yourself. Not that hard to do and you know its done properly. I can't believe that they didn't tell you after the first time or at least note it on the paperwork. But 6 times?! Total incompetence on a simple, simple task.

You should be compensated for the lost of lifespan on your engine due to the increased wear that you have seen over the time that your filter was being bypassed.

Cheers,

Bill

Meat Popsicle
08-31-2010, 07:03 PM
I will post pics of the filter in a few minutes.

Now I still have p0013 coming up all the time

Meat Popsicle
08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img714/229/filtery.jpg
By treyo (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/treyo) at 2010-08-31
Bottom of the filter cap or holder was thick with grease thick goo

sjonnie
08-31-2010, 07:27 PM
The new manager at the place claims the CVVT runs off of start up oil pressure and if the filter is clogged (i am sure it is) it will not produce enough pressure for the cvvt to work properly at initial turn over. One it does start it will bypass the oil filter and the cvvt will run correctly.

Does this make sense.

No, not really, oil is so thick at startup there is no way it would ever go through a filter, brand new or 30kmi old, so at startup the oil always goes though the bypass valve. For best startup oil pressure run German Castrol 0W30. Not changing the filter isn't terminal for an engine but generally if you can't change the filter you should change the oil more often. If you've been doing the 7.5kmi oil changes with non-synthetic oil and not changed the filter for 45kmi it's not surprising you are having oil pressure issues with the CVVT.

The VVT runs off of oil pressure pressing against a spring in the VVT unit. The pressure is controlled by the VVT solenoid. You need to have a diagnostic run on the CVVT unit to see if it is able to achieve the timing changes demanded. If the oil pressure is too low due to blockage in the oil channels feeding the CVVT then you'll have to have the engine cleaned.

javaxc70
08-31-2010, 08:13 PM
I would definitely do a short run and flush to try and get the gunk out. Time to think about getting a good synthetic oil. I would second the recommendation to do a seafoam treatment. Good luck!

Meat Popsicle
08-31-2010, 08:49 PM
P0013 is solved now.

on the splice I crossed wires. Now it is fixed.

MAN the old 160k volvo runs like a top.

About 4 months ago I replace cam seals and replace oil.

I will replace filter again this weekend.

All good news, the volvo is running better then ever.

Surging is gone, very linear power delivery. Instant start.

Thank goodness

Thank you guys for posting all your issues. Forums work.

This issue would have cost me over and over if it wasnt for you.

BTW my oil filter tool cost 23.00 its a very huge channel lock [thumbup]

sjonnie
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Fantastic. Put this on your Christmas list :)

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_skus/14817S.jpg