PDA

View Full Version : What is the set of Asymmetrical 'Tabs' on frame?

crh
08-28-2010, 06:58 PM
During an 'o-ring kit' install, I spied a pait of opposing semicircular 'tabs' underneath my 1998 XC, while it was on the lift the other day, getting an o-ring kit install (the smaller o-ring WAS getting 'sucked' inwards, out of its groove, and the larger one was almost *brittle*, so even though it did absolutely nothing to fix the noisy lifter ticking, it needed doing, anyway), in order to drop the oil pan, unless one of 'em is temporarily bent downwards about 20 degrees, it's difficult to do so. Those folded sheet-metal 'tabs' or 'ears', they extend about 3.5"-4" inwards from the frame rail towards the car's centerline, at about the... yeah, you guessed it... the oilpan area of the front subframe... WTF are these things? They're doubled-up sheet metal, not strong by any means, but they aren't supporting anything, are only attached to the frame rails, actually they look to be a stamped/thinned extensions of the subframe's metal 'rails', pressed together and shaped like a big thumb: rounded at the inward ends and with a round cutout in each, about .5" smaller in diameter than the tab is wide... any ideas? He did NOT bend it down, at my instruction... he got the pan down just fine a minute later... but these tabs are obviously there for a*some*reason, I guess... I'd sure like to know WTF it is! :D

crh
08-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Just wonderin... I was trying to avoid a 'Ghetto' underside look of my XC by requesting that my mechanic NOT bend and re-bend one 'o those big tabs down & up several times, thereby weakening it... maybe they're the mounts for that dealer-installed skid plate, the frame pieces left on at the factory that goes with every V70/V70 R that gets a standard or optional 'skid plate'... or, not. what do you all think these strange 'lil fellas are? :confused:

JRL
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
A picture is worth a 1000 words

crh
08-30-2010, 06:02 PM
A picture is worth a 1000 words

It's goin' up on the lift tomorrow or Wednesday; I'll grab the tabs by the JPEGS! [thumbup]

crh
09-04-2010, 05:28 AM
*SIGH*... ain't going up on the lift until after LDW... next week I'll try to grab a few pix... sorry about the wait... this is embarrassin' :rolleyes:

knucklebuster
09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I suspect they were used at the factory during assembly. They're too weak to take any load. Alignment of the cradle with other front end parts is pretty important. Heard of some guys cutting them off but I didn't . . .

Oh btw how the H did he get the pan down without bending the tabs? Would have to drop the cradle.