PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cap cover locking mech

seg
08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi
my unit does not seem to lock. The motor unlocks but stays there!!
Can i get these as replacement parts?
Can it be fixed?
Thanks

billr99
08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi
my unit does not seem to lock. The motor unlocks but stays there!!
Can i get these as replacement parts?
Can it be fixed?
Thanks
Try squirting some liquid graphite or similar lock lube into the lock plunger, cycle the lock a few times and see if that fixes it. And you can get the bits to fix it but as with all things they are more expensive than they should be. Worth trying to lube it first before you spend the brass unnecessarily.

Cheers,

Bill

skibo
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Mine lost a tooth on the gearing within the mechanism and jammed up in the closed position. I posted a picture in another thread somewhere. At the time someone online (FCP Groton maybe?) quoted me $70 for the mechanism but I chose to just remove it.

Jerrymcc
08-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Have you checked after the car is locked for awhile?...The fuel door does not lock until 10 minutes after you lock the car so that you gan gas it up while the car is locked...I cannot imagine why anyone would want to lock the car while it is at the pump, but that is what the owner's manual says...

wgriswold
08-20-2010, 01:52 PM
On my my2003 the gas door is always locked unless I push the unlock button on the dash. It locks again when the car is moving at some defined slow speed.

JayPinNC
08-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I saw a picture of the gas-door on the forum somewhere and realized I don't have the gas-door button on my '01 - just two fog light buttons. Which I'm fine with because the hole on the door that accepts the plug or whatever you call it - is broken.