PDA

View Full Version : Transmission slipping

twister1010
08-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I have had the same problem with my 03 XC70. Did you figure out a fix?

Adrian
08-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Mine does this all the time. I never think about it. Under 1500 RPM it is supposed to "slip" on the gear, due to the power being low under 1500. Mine just slips in 3rd until it shifts down to 2nd. Same for 4th to 3rd.

billr99
08-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Howard:

This may be a real stab in the dark, but I had what I think were two similar occasions to yours on my recent trip to PA. To be a bit more specific I had a flare on the 5th gear lockup. I basically ran the trip pretty hard plus it was HOT (95F ish) pretty much from Maine on south. I also had a couple of other weird glitches with my drivers side window and my trip odo. My thoughts at the time was that the heat was affecting the electronics. Now I know that it shouldn't but let's face it, these cars are starting to get a bit long in the tooth, right? So anyway, it had been quite some time since I had done a system reboot, so I gave that a try. Seemed to sort it out as none of these glitches have re-occurred since. I am due for a fluid change at this next service but the fluid looks good, etc. and all the other regular maintenance stuff was up to snuff before the trip.

Anyway, might be worth a shot.

Cheers,

Bill

JayPinNC
08-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Bill, you mean disconnecting the battery (the right way) and holding +- for some time and then re-connecting the battery (the right way)?

I'm thinking my car might need this. It's been in the garage for about 2 weeks waiting for a new timing belt. And probably crankshaft/cam seals.

duncan
08-16-2010, 06:40 AM
- Once in a while, when I've turned (left or right) and go up a grade, just after finishing the turn and going straight, the transmission would slip for just a fraction of a second. The engine basically revs up ever so briefly (not even 1/2 second) and go back to lower RPM to power the car forward.

Is it slipping out of gear, or revving between shifts?

twister1010
08-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Mine revs between shifts. It seems to do it more when initially starting to drive. It happens maybe once a week.

duncan
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Mine revs between shifts. It seems to do it more when initially starting to drive. It happens maybe once a week.

I'm not sure if you mean when starting from a dead stop, or starting when cold - but sometimes people will mention their car feels funny when shifting cold. I think often it is simply because the car is set to hold revs much higher than normal when the engine is cold, to warm it up. If you don't know the reason behind it, you may think the car is driving really rough. Once at your regular operating temperature, everything should shift normally.

Again, may not be what you're referring to.

JayPinNC
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
"If you don't know the reason behind it, you may think the car is driving really rough."

So true.

twister1010
08-16-2010, 11:36 AM
To clarify, if I am driving around the city and the car has been warmed up the RPM gauge will sometimes slip to about 4 or 5. Then it will kick back into gear and continue driving. You can hear the engine accelerate like it is not in gear?? while the RPM's suddenly move up on the gauge. I hope this better explains what is happening. It seems to happen in all gears or speeds but happens more when I am first accelerating from a stop light.

The car only has 59,000 miles on it and I scared to take it to the stealership bc they will find everything wrong with it and charge me an arm and a leg.

sjonnie
08-16-2010, 11:39 AM
To clarify, if I am driving around the city and the car has been warmed up the RPM gauge will sometimes slip to about 4 or 5. Then it will kick back into gear and continue driving. You can hear the engine accelerate like it is not in gear?? while the RPM's suddenly move up on the gauge. I hope this better explains what is happening. It seems to happen in all gears or speeds but happens more when I am first accelerating from a stop light.

The car only has 59,000 miles on it and I scared to take it to the stealership bc they will find everything wrong with it and charge me an arm and a leg.

Try new fluid first.

twister1010
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Rodger that! I just changed the oil, today I am going to do the transmission flush recommended on this site and next I filling up my bevel gear box which is empty? I am hopping the flush will help with the transmission. I am not a car expert but very able to do the small things. PS I love this forum. So much infomation. Thx guys

duncan
08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah unfortunately it sounds like a transmission problem, and not just a wrong diagnosis.

Definitely try the fluid change, as sometimes you hear about apparent miracles with a fluid change or software update. But more likely than not, it sounds like your transmission is on it's way out. Although in which case I'd just be prepared to see how long you can drive it as-is.

billr99
08-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Bill, you mean disconnecting the battery (the right way) and holding +- for some time and then re-connecting the battery (the right way)?

I'm thinking my car might need this. It's been in the garage for about 2 weeks waiting for a new timing belt. And probably crankshaft/cam seals.

Yes, exactly. This assumes you've done fluid changes, etc.. So its kind of the last thing to try.

Cheers,

Bill

Forkster
08-16-2010, 02:31 PM
If you change the fluid - try to send a bit of the old stuff off for analysis. That will tell you if your tranny is dying vs old fuild/sludge build-up.

Jerrymcc
08-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Okay, seems like this happens to wife's 01 XC70 the last 3-4 times I've driven it in the last month or so. It occurs rarely but given the transmission's track record on this car, has me worried.

- Once in a while, when I've turned (left or right) and go up a grade, just after finishing the turn and going straight, the transmission would slip for just a fraction of a second. The engine basically revs up ever so briefly (not even 1/2 second) and go back to lower RPM to power the car forward.

- Happened once swhile travelig up slight grade with stopping and starting up again without turning.

When I go into manual mode on geartronic, a slight 2-3 flair (1/2 second wait before locking into 3rd, RPM doesn't rise) is all I get and have had that for the last 20k miles on this car. Gears don't slip once engaged. All other shifts are crisp.

My driving patterns are fairly gentle while wife's is a little more aggressive with foot switching between gas or brake. I tend to glide more. Its her car, probably adapted to her patterns rather than mine.

10k on 3309 flush
newly design b4 cover installed

Recently added Lubegard HFM and made no difference at all.

Anything else I can do beside praying? I suppose change ATF again and do adaptation are my only other options. Anyone else experienced symptoms similar to these?

You might be in luck...There is fix called "B-4 servo cover update"...The B-4 servo cover in certain XC's had a problem and a modified cover is available at Volvo, or both IPD and FCPGroton sell the kit for about $20 with instructions...If you are the least bit handy you can install it yourself...The problem you are experiencing is called a "shift flare" and by doing a search on this forum you can find all about it...

dfuerst
08-17-2010, 06:53 AM
If you'll note from the original post, the B4 cover has been changed.

The symptoms sound very much like my wife's approximately 6 months before the tranny packed it in. It has nothing to do with how you drive, maintenance, the B4 cover, how you hold your mouth going over bumps, what your mileage is in furlongs per fortnight, or any other nonsense that, in the end, will do squat for a tranny going south. To the original poster, it's not your fault.

Sorry, but it's time to budget for a rebuilt transmission, which is expensive but may make sense if the numbers come out right, or sell the car as quick as you can (which in my mind is an underhanded and repugnant solution). Check with independent transmission shops in your area -- they are frequently significantly cheaper than the $ealers. In my case the dealer quoted $5k+++, and a local tranny shop did it for $3200.

Aviator
08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
If you'll note from the original post, the B4 cover has been changed.

That original post is over 2 years old and refers to Howard's car. We're talking about Twister's car now. He revived the thread, and there is no mention of the B4 servo from him at all.

Dave.

duncan
08-17-2010, 08:38 AM
That original post is over 2 years old and refers to Howard's car. We're talking about Twister's car now. He revived the thread

Yikes, these old threads need some sort of a warning on them!

Forkster
08-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Usually, it's a best practice NOT to revive old threads. Create your own question to get more accurate responses! :)

I've create a new thread here.

Adrian
08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Maybe avoid deleting the original problem? The thread makes no sense now.

vailpass
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM

By "disconnect the right way" do you mean negative first then positive?
By "holding+- for some time" do you mean holding the actual battery cables so they are touching?

I've heard this will clear codes but am uncertain exactly what is meant. I just installed a re-built ABS module (xemodex) in my 2003 XC70 and need to clear a transmission code that was there before. Next step for me may be the B4 cover if the code persists?? *edit* Looks like B4 cover is only for 01-02 modesls, not 2003

Thanks much.

Aviator
08-17-2010, 07:08 PM
By "disconnect the right way" do you mean negative first then positive?
By "holding+- for some time" do you mean holding the actual battery cables so they are touching?

Traditionally you disconnect negative first, but it doesn't matter...whatever rocks your world. Also, you don't need to touch the + and - cables together. Any capacitors in the controllers (modern technology) will discharge on their own anyway.

Dave.

vailpass
08-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Traditionally you disconnect negative first, but it doesn't matter...whatever rocks your world. Also, you don't need to touch the + and - cables together. Any capacitors in the controllers (modern technology) will discharge on their own anyway.

Dave.

Thanks. I was hoping there was a way to clear the codes from my TCM without paying the shop $120 to do so but I guess I'll bite the bullet.