PDA

View Full Version : checking bevel gear fluid

Q-ship
08-15-2010, 02:19 PM
So my mechanic replaced the bevel gear fluid about 500 mi ago, right afterwords I noticed theat diff fluid smell, figured it was just venting any extra from the fluid heating up and building pressure.
Here's the thing, when I just checked, becuase it seemed the smell has not gone away. When I took the 13mm bolt out to inspect, an ounce or two came out. Is this normal expansion (car came back from 30 min trip, followed by 30-45 min cooldown).
What temp is best to check the bevel gear fluid level?

billr99
08-15-2010, 02:50 PM
So my mechanic replaced the bevel gear fluid about 500 mi ago, right afterwords I noticed theat diff fluid smell, figured it was just venting any extra from the fluid heating up and building pressure.
Here's the thing, when I just checked, becuase it seemed the smell has not gone away. When I took the 13mm bolt out to inspect, an ounce or two came out. Is this normal expansion (car came back from 30 min trip, followed by 30-45 min cooldown).
What temp is best to check the bevel gear fluid level?
Looks like your guy overfilled the bevel gear. Accepted practice is to fill to the bottom of the filler hole than extract 150 to 200ml. At that amount, running temp should not expand the fluid enough to puke any out when you pull the filler plug.

Cheers,

Bill

Q-ship
08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
that's what I was thinking, hope nothings adversely affected
Thanks Bill

billr99
08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
that's what I was thinking, hope nothings adversely affected
Thanks Bill
You will probably want to get the fluid to the right level soon. Although the vent should allow the excess to seep out under expansion of operation, the higher level might weaken the seals over time allowing them to seep more than normal.

Cheers,

Bill