PDA

View Full Version : Engine cooling fan problem

SpudRacer
02-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Well everyone, you're not going to believe this... we drove to Hendersonville, NC which is quite a drive from Bryson City, NC to finally pick up our XC70 fresh off the boat from Sweden.

As soon as we started it, we heard what sounded like a jet engine starting under the hood!! While it sounded very cool, it wasn't supposed to sound that way.

To make a long story short, we refused to accept the car until they fixed it. A quick check under the hood revealed the cooling fan to not only be running, but running at high speed with the engine ice cold. Apparently it has a low and high speed (news to me). On top of that, we asked for, then demanded a loaner car. Thay had none. They gave us a brand new XC70 off the lot to drive back to Bryson City which now sits in our driveway with 119 miles. It is white (the color the wife originally wanted!!!!!!&#33http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif. We're trying to keep the miles down, but our's needs a new coolant temperature sensor which won't be in until Monday and we can't get off work to drive back down until Wednesday.

Oh well, at least we have AN XC70.

Funny how we logged over 5200 miles on it in Europe without a problem, then it comes in off the boat with a bad sensor?!?! I checked the mileage and it is what we turned the car in at (+ 1 mile). IF memory serves, others had problems upon picking up their XC70 after OSD, problems with the alarm not working if I remember.... seems strange to me, either fishy, or just terrible timing.

Tom & Jenny

P.S. Check out our pictures, we posted a bunch today...

SpudRacer
03-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Update:
The part needed to fix our XC70 ( the one we drove across Europe without a problem x 5000 miles, then couldn't get off the dealership lot without it breaking) finally arrived.  The dealership "HUNTER Chevrolet" ordered the wrong part, so now the car will sit another 2-3 days and we will continue to rack up the miles on the loaner XC70 they gave us that only had 12 miles on it.  I feel less guilty now...

Tom

Hiro's XC
03-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Better that part than the issue with 7ser and X5 BMW's a couple of years ago. The resistor pack on the aux fan would overheat and catch FIRE! It burned more than a few cars to teh groung and a few homes as well.

Good luck!

SpudRacer
03-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Update:

The coolant temperature sensor needed to fix our car is on a national backorder per our Volvo dealership.  They do not know when they will be able to get the part in and are hopeful it will be in within the next 2 weeks.  So our new XC70 will have to wait a while longer before we can finally get the poor thing home.

Anybody have a coolant temp sensor I can "borrow"?  I know Hiro is always trying to sell used parts... what do you say Hiro?!?!

Tom

pico de luuks
03-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Just enjoy driving the loaner. At least you got a same model car, so I wouldn't hurry the dealer. It's just less miles on your car...

http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/pico.gif