PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Install

wsp310
07-21-2010, 05:54 PM
I just bought a hitch off of ebay for $137.70 with free delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=130349997829&view=all&tid=436207278003

I was suprised to see it in the drive the following day. It's a Curt Hitch #12318 and fits on my 2002 XC as if Volvo designed it that way! My question is the hitch has 3 bolts on each side that go into the frame. On the passenger side the three openings were right there once I took off the tow bracket. On the driver's side I have the two that hold the muffler bracket in place but the third seems to be missing. It looks like there is a spot for it (the most rearward spot) but it looks like there is a thin bit of metal covering it. My question is, is there a nut welded inside the frame behind this covering and do i need to drill through it to expose the nut? The hitch is more than secure with the three on one side and two on the other.

skibo
07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I just installed the OEM hitch a few days ago - it's a multi-piece design, but it looks like it uses the same three holes on each side. All of them had threaded insterts or backing nuts of some kind.