PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Mirror Security/programming

BG59
07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
My dad recently changed the rear view mirror in his V70XC because it went bad. He got a used one thats in perfect shape.
Without knowing that there is a Security Module, he threw his old one out. By the time he found that out,it was too late.

He went to the stealership and all they wanted him to do is to get a new one ($499) because apparently they cant program the "used" one.
This to me smells like complete bullsh.it and all they want is to rip him off.

How and where can i get this done and how much it usually cost without all the nonsense bs that they try to sell?

kain
07-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Sounds a little fishy.

So they have a replacement mirror programmed just for your car sitting in a warehouse waiting for yours to crap out?

The only thing I can think of but still doesn't make sense to me is that once it is programmed it cannot be re-programmed. Maybe you need an un-programmed mirror?

This is precisely the reason why my mirror with broken auto-dimming is still in the car.

Good luck.

jda2000
07-21-2010, 06:40 AM
No, the dealer is not giving you bulls**t, your father threw out a computer module needed by the car.:eek:

The rear view mirror has an electronic module (UEM) attached to it. That module controls the sunroof and the security system (lock/unlock).

The new UEM needs to be programmed by computer, (via VADIS by the dealer) to the car. Thus part and labor comes to about $600+.

Your father should make an extra effort to find the old mirror, remove the UEM from it and transfer it to the replacement mirror and all will be good.

BG59
07-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Seriously, they mirror cannot be re-programmed?

Why not, does anybody know?

You can re-program ECU's as much as you want, but cant re-pr the module?

WTF?

And yeah, there mirror is long gone.