PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze consumption

gsurp
07-18-2010, 05:07 AM
2007 xc 70 emptying antifreeze resivoir every +/- 4 weeks. None on garage floor, not smelling any in exaust. Any thoughts anyone?

JayPinNC
07-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Did you check your crankcase for it? Is it all over your dipstick...

jda2000
07-18-2010, 09:11 AM
did you check under the front carpets inside the cabin? heater core is a common leak source.:(

BillAileo
07-18-2010, 11:00 AM
If the 07 radiator is like earlier models leaks can develop between crimped assembly joints where plastic meets aluminum. Sometimes its very hard to actually see the leak as the fluid is dispersed while moving. This thread might be of interest: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16229&highlight=radiator+leak

gsurp
08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Ended up being small crack in radiator right rear bottom...most likely due to accident where right front was backed into...

ChicagoXC
08-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Glad you found the leak!

My '01 also leaks along the seams of the radiator at the metal mounts. :mad:

But.. for those who are still following this thread, I also found a leak under the overflow tank. I was replacing the timing belt and lifted the tank out (with the power steering tank) to place them onto the engine (with the hoses still connected).

The sensor (for fill level I'd guess?) popped out of the bottom of the tank. It's on a 10" lead to a plug which is mounted on the fender near the top of the strut. It appears to be a press fit up into a vertical space in the tank. Drip, drip, drip.. :mad:

I put it back with some gorilla glue (wish I'd had some epoxy :cool: instead)