PDA

View Full Version : ecm code 261A

2000xc70
07-18-2010, 03:09 AM
hi guys, once again (the 9th time i think) i have a 261A fault.fuel trim upper limit. Happens every time i fill the tank and just do city driving.The car yard i bought it from has checked fuel pressure and is ok, also replaced both o2 sensors. have checked for air leaks none there.My nearest Volvo dealer is 500km away getting really really sick of this problem to the point i am thinking of selling. any ideas before i do something i may regret?
2001 XC70 B5224T3 engine, 145,000 kms

jda2000
07-18-2010, 09:22 AM
is that a P fault code?:confused:

code P0261 points to the injector of cylinder 1 malfunctioning.

sjonnie
07-18-2010, 07:55 PM
hi guys, once again (the 9th time i think) i have a 261A fault.fuel trim upper limit. Happens every time i fill the tank and just do city driving.The car yard i bought it from has checked fuel pressure and is ok, also replaced both o2 sensors. have checked for air leaks none there.My nearest Volvo dealer is 500km away getting really really sick of this problem to the point i am thinking of selling. any ideas before i do something i may regret?
2001 XC70 B5224T3 engine, 145,000 kms

Have you checked the voltage over the MAF? The signal voltage should be 1.7V at idle, any higher and you should consider cleaning or replacement.

2000xc70
07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Have you checked the voltage over the MAF? The signal voltage should be 1.7V at idle, any higher and you should consider cleaning or replacement.

no i haven't checked that! but why would it only show the problem when i fill the tank? if i dont fill it i dont have the problem. (and yes my garage said just that. don't fill it and you'll have no problem)

RockitShip
07-20-2010, 10:00 PM
For some reason I immediately think of the recall re: the cracked fuel pump flange.
Do you smell gas after topping up? There is a recall for vehicles, but not if you're over 10 yrs. and/or 150,000 miles... and you're very close.

2000xc70
07-20-2010, 10:14 PM
For some reason I immediately think of the recall re: the cracked fuel pump flange.
Do you smell gas after topping up? There is a recall for vehicles, but not if you're over 10 yrs. and/or 150,000 miles... and you're very close.

yer smell fuel thought it was from the servo .Is an october 2000 build date has done 145000km (87,350 miles)

sjonnie
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
no i haven't checked that! but why would it only show the problem when i fill the tank? if i dont fill it i dont have the problem. (and yes my garage said just that. don't fill it and you'll have no problem)

No idea, can't think of a single reason why filling the tank would give you that code. Filling the tank could give EVAP system codes, but I don't see how it can affect the fuel trim. So I did what Tom & Ray would do and ignored it :D Sometimes certain things seem to be a coincidence. The most obvious thing if there are no vacuum leaks is the MAF sensor. If you have no vacuum leaks (and there is a rigourous pressure test for that) and the MAF sensor is good them maybe you need to start checking the EVAP system, at least check the hoses to the EVAP canister.

2000xc70
07-22-2010, 12:57 AM
No idea, can't think of a single reason why filling the tank would give you that code. Filling the tank could give EVAP system codes, but I don't see how it can affect the fuel trim. So I did what Tom & Ray would do and ignored it :D Sometimes certain things seem to be a coincidence. The most obvious thing if there are no vacuum leaks is the MAF sensor. If you have no vacuum leaks (and there is a rigourous pressure test for that) and the MAF sensor is good them maybe you need to start checking the EVAP system, at least check the hoses to the EVAP canister.

ok heres the deal, checked MAF voltage was 1.2v at idle, was also suggested to check evap canister shutoff valve, resistance here was overly high, could that be the problem? also the VADIS says check canister purge valve, will do that tomorrow.
BTW it's no coincidence it threw this code when tank was filled 9 times never failed aint no coincidence :eek:

2000xc70
07-22-2010, 02:04 AM
just checked the valve all ok. just about had it with this car. didn't pay thousands of dollars to throw thousands at it. Will NEVER buy an XC again

sjonnie
07-22-2010, 02:52 AM
ok heres the deal, checked MAF voltage was 1.2v at idle
So your MAF signal is too low which means you should clean or replace the MAF. Or just sell the car, whatever....

2000xc70
07-28-2010, 03:49 AM
ok cleaned MAF sensor and also replaced battery as it went dead. while cleaning MAF noticed that air filter was filthy black, supposedly replaced 14,000 k ago according to invoice (i don't think so:eek:)code cleared when battery disconnected . aint come on again so far [thumbup]

2000xc70
09-09-2010, 01:23 AM
ah and back again, i was going to sell the car but a loss of $8,000 in 6 months i decided to just deal with whatever this damn problem is. so now i ask all who are willing to answer of things you may think are related to this 261A code or P1171 it's a Fuel trim upper limit.

so far has been checked or replaced:

intake system checked by 2 different workshops both say no leaks.
both oxy sensors replaced
intake pipe from air box to turbo replaced.
intercooler rubber couplings replaced.

guaranteed to throw this code when i put fuel in.