PDA

View Full Version : let me see your tips

jbird
07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
and the SAGA continues

I've got a set of oil cooler lines on order for a 98 xc wagon. Is this a pretty straightforward install as it looks? Any advice will be considered a humble pity on a fellow enthusiast. Are these lines pressurized before dissassembly? Should the o rings be lubed with anything special? it looks as if the clip on the radiator end is manageable with a screwdriver.

jbird
07-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Well thanks a lot for the tips. I guess my modest attempt at humor was wasted on all you seasoned mechanics, either that or no one has had to replaced those lines. It is a pretty easy install, however. The torx head bolt that retains the lines to the thermostat housing beside the oil filter is a bit of a pain in the [nonono], but other than that pretty straight forward. IPDusa sells a replacement metric head bolt for this application (although any fastener shop could supply this) but i just re-used the original. Yes the retainer at the radiator can be managed with a screwdiver, no special tools required. Some oil in the lines, not bad, but I figure if the thermostat was open all the engine oil would come out on you.

ecbsykes
07-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi there!

I think one issue people have is sometimes posting topics with titles that aren't very specific. Not too worry though...

Glad to see you did this repair without too much issue! Good for other Gen 1 XC owners to know, since many of us may face this problem as the years go on. By the way, the thermostat only controls the coolant, not the oil.

This might be a silly question, but did you drain all the oil from the car out first?

Another good site is matthewsvolvosite.com, you'll find a lot more resources for DIY work. This forum can be sort of dead sometimes.

jbird
08-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for caring sykes

I did not drain the oil from the engine, but there is a small amount of oil in the lines that will need caught when/if you remove them. These two lines go from the top and bottom of the passenger side of the radiator to the bottom corner of the engine near the oil filter. There is a thermostat there that I assume only runs the oil through the radiator when it's hot enough to need it. If this was stuck open (luckily mine was not) all the oil would dump out of the engine into the floor.

I had a few 'mechanics' and a dealer look at this and they all told me it was leaking from the front engine seals behind the timing belt. Thankfully I looked it over and did these lines, oil leak cured. Based on my conversations and lack of information here I'd say these lines don't go out to often.

The lines were $100 each form eEuroparts