PDA

View Full Version : Towing

bclem
07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Has anyone towed a 1900 lb trailer (includes gear) without trailer brakes on a (2001) V70 XC???
Manual says it's ok to tow up to 3300 lbs if there are trailer brakes. 1100 lbs without trailer brakes. Any thoughts/comments? We will be going from Minnesota to Yellowstone. Though much of the trek will be through flat midwest Minnesota and semi-flat Badlands of South Dakota, there will be a couple of hundred miles of more mountainous terrain when we reach the Black Hills and beyond.

lexefx
07-13-2010, 02:55 PM
I get close, 1440 lbs. My rule of thumb is don't exceed 1/2 max rating. Brake cooling ducts, decent aftermarket pads, and good brake system health all contribute.

Your tranny maintainence plays a big note as well for towing. I have a cooler planned, but waiting till I am out of warranty. Regular flushing is my best bet till then!

Lex

Q-ship
07-14-2010, 04:29 AM
keep in mind you will probably lose some fluid from the diff through the expansion hole under the load, so don't forget to check levels when you get home. When I towed last time I smelled fluid when I got home from a 2 hr trip.
Meant a full flush for me (just to be sure, and it was about that time any way)

Jorge-789995
07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
What type of trailer and is the 1900 pounds really accurate or is it an RV manufacturers dry weight? If it is truly 1900, then you should be fine. Take it easy and drive like you are towing - slow accelerations and long coasting to stop.

If this is an RV manufacturers estimate, then I think you should load the car and trailer with all the gear and go get it weighed. RV's are notorious for being much heavier than posted. Don't forget to add the cargo/people in the car.

I towed a trailer from Wisconsin to Vegas on I80, I70 and I15, and I did not have any issues. I weighed everything and it was at about 2100 grand total. Good luck.