PDA

View Full Version : 2001 troubles

stevepaa
07-10-2010, 10:27 PM
So I bought this creampuff 2001 xc70 in February from my local dealer, trading in my 2004 v70 after recent snow trip where it performed horribly. Within 3 days I had to bring it back to have the temp sensor cleaned because I had no heat. Two weeks later the ignition switch goes out, they did not want to cover that. Last month the brake booster needed replacement. I also did the tranny and steering fluid flush.

I then noticed a green color on the brand new driver carpet I put in as the old one had a big rip in it that I did not notice when I bought the car. Yep, heat exchanger leak. That was fun to fix[cussing]

So we went on a trip to LA and noticed that the ac would stop blowing after about two hours and I had ice on the low pressure line from the firewall back to the front of the car. So I had the refrigerant pulled out and it was 1 lb low and the ac guy suggested that the expansion valve might be stuck open. I checked for any leak using a black light to see the dye, but saw nothing.

So I ordered an expansion valve and all the orings I needed. As I took the low pressure line out of the car, I found one o-ring cut and squished where the low pressure line meets the line going to the compressor. So that may expalin how it lost 1 lb over 9 years of use with no dye indication.

Now I'll need to replace the dryer, that does not look like fun.

My 1992 volvo had 288 kmiles on it when I gave it to the neighbor and it still is in use, with nary the issues these cars have.

jda2000
07-11-2010, 07:26 AM
a good set of snow ires on the '04 V70 would have done great on the snow.

You should have kept the '04 :o

JRL
07-11-2010, 08:04 AM
So I bought this creampuff 2001 xc70 in February from my local dealer, trading in my 2004 v70 after recent snow trip where it performed horribly.

That was one of the most poorly thought deals you just did.
04= generally good, 01= generally not so good.

Bad in snow? :confused:
Did you ever consider that your AWD was not working?
These cars are quite good in anything under 7" of snow

stevepaa
07-11-2010, 12:20 PM
the 2004 v70 was fwd and every time it hit ice it slowwwwwwed down abruptly , i turned off dtsc or whatever that switch said and it still performed terribly. We should have gotten the 2004 as XC70, then.

jda2000
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
stevepaa,

don't feel bad though, the '01 is not as bad as you read in these forums. Yes, the '04 is a much better car than the '01, but...

keep up with the maintenance on the '01, keep the tranny fluid refreshed and the '01 might just surprise and go another 100k miles [thumbup]

JRL
07-11-2010, 02:27 PM
the 2004 v70 was fwd and every time it hit ice it slowwwwwwed down abruptly , i turned off dtsc or whatever that switch said and it still performed terribly. We should have gotten the 2004 as XC70, then.

Sorry, didn't notice that.
Well, as you said, you should have bought an 03 and newer XC70 or at least installed some terrific snow tires.
I've never become stuck in a FWD Volvo, in the snow, as long as I had some good (snow) tires under it