PDA

View Full Version : wipers won't stop!

rickm
07-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi,

2002 XC70. The windshield wipers work correctly in the intermittent, normal and fast positions. If I move the switch to the "off" position, they continue to operate, at the "normal" speed.

Took it to the dealer, they "cleaned the contacts" but weren't sure they'd really fixed the problem. It worked ok that day. The next day (and ever since), same problem. They suggested replacing the two windshield wiper relays....I did....same symptoms.

Any ideas? I'd hate to replace the switch and have it be the motor/connector/wiring.

Thanks!

Rick

billr99
07-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Hi,

2002 XC70. The windshield wipers work correctly in the intermittent, normal and fast positions. If I move the switch to the "off" position, they continue to operate, at the "normal" speed.

Took it to the dealer, they "cleaned the contacts" but weren't sure they'd really fixed the problem. It worked ok that day. The next day (and ever since), same problem. They suggested replacing the two windshield wiper relays....I did....same symptoms.

Any ideas? I'd hate to replace the switch and have it be the motor/connector/wiring.

Thanks!

Rick

Sounds like the switch is shorted out. Sorry.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
07-11-2010, 06:11 AM
I agree
I think you need a new wiper stalk

rickm
07-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Bill and JRL, thanks for the prompt replies!

I'll replace the stalk and let you know how it turns out...

Rick

rickm
07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
The saga continues...

I replaced the wiper stalk with a new (not used) one.

It worked fine for a couple of days, then started acting up again, with the same symptoms. It's intermittent: some days it works fine, most days it doesn't.

With the switch in the "OFF" position, the wipers run - they go just slightly slower than if they were on the "LOW" position (slightly faster than the fastest "intermittent" setting). The speed is a tiny bit inconsistent (the short pause between wipes varies a little bit).

I've already replaced the wiper relays (FST3 and FST1). No change.

I disconnected the electrical connector at the wiper motor and checked to make sure the black line was correctly grounded - it checked out ok with an ohm meter, but I disconnected and cleaned where that ground terminal was grounded to the chassis. Still didn't fix it.

If I try running the wipers with the wiper motor connector disconnected, I can hear/feel the FST1 relay click; I can measure the voltage on the blue line to the connector change 0 to 12 V (and back) when this happens. This seems to happen at about the same rate with the wipers in the "OFF" and "LOW" position. (After a couple of minutes the relay clicking gets really erratic, but this occurs both in the "OFF" and "LOW" positions - presumably the computer isn't getting some feelback from the motor and is confused?)

One last thing that may or may not be related: "low beam bulb burnt out" message came up once, but the bulb was fine (and message hasn't reappeared); no other weird symptoms.

I'm stumped and would appreciate any ideas of what to check next...

Thanks (and thanks for your previous comments),

Rick

dpaton
07-27-2010, 06:30 AM
It's a long shot but is your battery OK?

Check by doing a cell by cell reading using short pieces of wire on your volt meter.

kain
07-27-2010, 06:35 AM
I was about to ask if you have checked your battery too. As other members have said, the electrical gremlins show their heads when the battery has low voltage/is going south.

jda2000
07-27-2010, 08:03 AM
are the headlights wipers working correctly?

Adrian
07-27-2010, 08:37 AM
In my car, the settings are Off -> Sensor -> intermittent -> low -> high. Just my thougts; sure you are setting it to Off, not on the sensor? If you have a sensor that is.

rickm
07-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions:

I took the battery (Duralast) to the vendor (Autozone) to have it checked out - they tested it under load, and every test said it was ok. (It's 2 1/2 yrs old, so it should have been ok). You're right in that I should have checked this much sooner.

The headlight wipers work ok (when I pull the stalk towards me, the headlight and windshield sprayers spray, and the headlight and windshield wipers wipe twice).

Adrian, I think your Volvo is newer than mine. My model/year (2002) should be pre-rain sensor. Just to make sure, I looked at the top of the windshield, behind the mirror, where the sensor would reside - no sensor.

One additional piece of information:
If the wipers are in intermittent/low/high and I put the car into reverse, the rear wiper goes on (intermittent) - it's supposed to do this. If the wipers are set at OFF (and of course, it's still wiping), and I go into reverse, the rear wiper does not turn on.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - any more ideas?

Rick

kain
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Again I would check the wiring harness where it goes from the gate into the car. All of my rear wiper oddities went away when I had that replaced. You'd be foolish to keep looking for other things without verifying that the harness isn't the issue.

JRL
07-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Rear wiper will swipe if the fronts are on and you're in reverse.
To get this clear, you're saying that if you're driving down the road in the middle of a dry day, the wipers still work?

BTW change out your wiper RELAY under the dash

rickm
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
kain,

I don't quite understand your suggestion. The rear wipers are working fine, the problem is with the front wipers - they work in the OFF position, on a dry day.

If I'm to check/replace a wiring harness for the front wipers, which one should I check? The harness that goes into the wiper motor under the hood?

Thanks,

Rick

rickm
07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
JRL,

You're right that the rear wiper will swipe if the fronts are on and you're in reverse (and that's the way it's supposed to work)....However, my front wipers run all the time, even in the OFF position, even on a dry day. If the front wipers are in the OFF position and I'm in reverse, the rear wipers are not running.

I've already replaced the wiper relays (FST3 and FST1) under the hood. No change.

You suggested replacing wiper relays under the dash - I wasn't aware of any other wiper relays...if there are other wiper relays, I should certainly check them out/replace them - can you send me more info on them (eg, where are they/what numbers). By the way, the car is a 2002 V70 X/C.

Thanks,

Rick

kain
07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Wow, for some reason i was reading this as the rear wiper was the issue. My bad. I got nothing for you on the fronts. Sorry.

JRL
07-28-2010, 03:41 PM
JRL,

You're right that the rear wiper will swipe if the fronts are on and you're in reverse (and that's the way it's supposed to work)....However, my front wipers run all the time, even in the OFF position, even on a dry day. If the front wipers are in the OFF position and I'm in reverse, the rear wipers are not running.

I've already replaced the wiper relays (FST3 and FST1) under the hood. No change.

You suggested replacing wiper relays under the dash - I wasn't aware of any other wiper relays...if there are other wiper relays, I should certainly check them out/replace them - can you send me more info on them (eg, where are they/what numbers). By the way, the car is a 2002 V70 X/C.

Thanks,

Rick

The INTERMITTANT relay should be under the dash
Somehow that may be fooling the system into thinking it should swipe

ChicagoXC
08-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I agree with the earlier post regarding a short in the wiring harness.

I had a similar problem.. my rears ONLY worked when I put the fronts on and put her in reverse. Just switching the column switch for the rears (intermittent or ON), it did nothing.

I found a significant slice in 4 of the wires heading to the rear wiper, under the plastic housing at the rear door hinge :mad:. (See Photo) The slice was made at the factory because I was surely the first one to remove the plastic housing!

For you, my guess is there may be a similar slice somewhere in the wire loom between the switch and the wiper motor. If I'm correct, the power to the motors is always HOT.. and the switch is the ground. That way.. when you turn the wipers off, they have enough juice to make it back to their resting position along the windshield. Likewise, the short may be in the plastic housing connected to the motor. In my Toyota, that's where the additional ground was located to continue the motor.. and the wipers.. until they reached the rest position.

WHEN did this start? Did it start abruptly one day (slice..) or once and then again.. and then always (melting sheath..)?

I have found some other wires in the engine compartment lose their loom (plastic cover) over time AND some end up on hot parts.. wearing away the sheathing. Likewise, the short may be right up at the motor and vibration.. or heat.. is causing the short.

Maybe?? :confused:

rickm
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi folks,

I replaced the wiper motor (I'd already tried everything else).
It's been a month now, and the wipers are now working great (and turning off when they're supposed to).

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, and I hope this helps the next person who runs into this problem...

dsb
10-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I hope this helps the next person who runs into this problem...

Thanks for posting the follow-up - that does indeed make it more helpful.

gsangstar
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
thank you for the update, rickm. i'm having the exact symptoms. was the wiper motor replacement costly and/or/but easy to do?

thx!

guymon
11-21-2015, 06:52 AM
My car is doing this exact same thing now. I suspect it's the mechanism that detects when to turn off the motor so it parks its self when down after you turn it off. I wonder if instead of replacing the motor I could look at taking it apart and servicing this. Anybody ever tried this? A new motor from FCP is $290(OEM) and $109(Cardone) any thoughts on if I replace the motor if the after market one is OK or just pony up the dollars for the Volvo.