PDA

View Full Version : Petrol leak from tank/filler ?

nickbw
07-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Has anyone had fuel leak problems from tank/filler area?
Last week end for the first time in months I completely filled petrol tank prior to a long journey early following morning.

I parked uphill on my slightly sloping drive in hot sun for about 2 hours. Then discovered fuel leaking onto drive - tarmac was badly damaged.
Parked on the flat or normal driving there is neither leak nor smell of fuel. A week later refilling at station when tank at half full, fuel starts pouring onto ground underneath tank (spotted from station control).

Have been told this could be lines to filter or fuel pump, even a split seam on tank.

However, I find some of these things hard to believe as car starts first off and runs correctly. If tank was 'holed' then it would not pressurize, similarly with lines.

Have removed rear seats and carpets and inspected fuel pump and sender. No trace whatsoever of leaks and pump shows no sign of cracks in housing.
Completely baffled.

Have image of Fuel Tank parts and connections. If some kind sole has any ideas of the likely area of problem I would appreciate your ideas!

pelagikos
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2009/V/RCAK-09V483-2456.pdf

Allen
02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2009/V/RCAK-09V483-2456.pdf

Thank you for posting this. I sprung a leak a week ago.

Astro14
03-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Recall means that you don't have to pay for it.

My XC was fixed under the recall.

The dealer even replaced the pump on my T5 under the recall, even though there was no evident leak :D

dsb
03-22-2011, 07:12 AM
I had "Recall 220" done back in September and have since then noticed intermittent gas smell.

Nothing on the parking lot at work, but a spot in the driveway at home somewhere around the passenger side cockpit or seat.

I also filled up my tank for the first time in a while, like nickbw and it suddenly happened again.

Any ideas? Seems like too much of a coincidence for this issue and the recall service not to be related...

martinperry
03-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Mine developed a leak on the push on attachment to the filter - seemed to be due to corrosion / crud on the filter tails - cleaned up and replaced the filter and all fine since

hill833
03-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Same issues as dsb. Following fuel pump replacement on '01 V70 the car has intermittent gas smell. Dealer claims to find no cause.
Bad seal on fuel pump housing ?

dsb
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I took the car in last week to the same dealership that did the 220 recall.

It was a seal (one of those used in the recall fix) that had failed - they fixed it no charge.

Ocean Racer
07-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Same has just happened to my XC.
It is happening right now as I type and started 3 days ago when I filled it up to the very top. I could smell it quite clearly in the garage.

I inspected the underside and there is was, a nice run of petrol down the side of the passengers side tank and a small puddle on the driveway. I removed the rear seats and metal tank plate and there was petrol everywhere. Im guessing a seal has broken or damaged?
Will speak to Volvo dealership tomorrow.