PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump recall — Do I smell gas?

RockitShip
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
So, Volvo's stance is that 2002 models (and maybe 01's too), the fuel pump gets replaced, no questions asked. Whereas with the 03's & 04's, you have to say you "smell gas" from inside the cabin. I haven't smelled gas, but the recall/extended warranty letter leads me to wonder if this part is going to fail anyway? And is Volvo being legally forced to replace for certain models & not for others?

Since my 2003 is coming at 145,000 miles and the cutoff for the warranty is 150k, I'm wondering if I should basically lie and state that I smell gas to get the repair work done. On the other hand I'm wondering if it's unnecessary for this model, or at all, until I actually do smell gas as it may be a very rare problem for 03 & 04?

I'm not looking to screw over Volvo for something unnecessary, but I don't want to get screwed over either.

sjonnie
07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
The recall only applies to cars sold or registered in "ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, NORTH CAROLINA, OKLAHOMA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, UTAH, VIRGINIA AND THE U.S. TERRITORIES" which is kind of ridiculous, are they suggesting it doesn't get hot here in Missouri? I know it doesn't get hot up there in Maine ;)

RockitShip
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I received a "warranty" letter, not a "recall" letter as others. I spoke w/Volvo and they stated the recall (automatic replacement of part) per se, only applies to certain years.

Uhmmm yeah Jonnie, as long as I travel from air-conditioned room, to room, I'll be fine, otherwise I'll just melt!

wgriswold
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I got a recall notice. It is for the states mentioned above and the years 2001-2005. The car needs to be inspected and certain versions of the pump will be replaced regardless of gas smell in the cabin. I haven't had a chance to take the car in yet (the dealer is 100 miles away) but they tell me that they are doing about 30 cars a week.

JayPinNC
07-07-2010, 12:55 PM
How do you get your hands on one of these letters if you're a second, third, fourth etc owner? is there a place to register as an owner?

Do you need the letter to get the work done? I'm not sure how picky dealerships would be about something like this.

wgriswold
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Call your local dealer with your VIN and I would expect that the letter is not necessary. You are in one of the states that is covered in the letter and the year is right.

RockitShip
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
How do you get your hands on one of these letters if you're a second, third, fourth etc owner? is there a place to register as an owner?

Do you need the letter to get the work done? I'm not sure how picky dealerships would be about something like this.

Not entirely sure. I did indeed purchase the car 2nd hand. And about a year ago I brought it to a Volvo dealer to look into a problem I was having with the car at the time (unrelated to fuel pump)... I suppose they gathered my info at this moment as I now receive lots of junkmail from Volvo NA.

I received the letter AFTER going to the dealership, but not immediately thereafter, but anyhow I misplaced/lost my letter, so I cannot read from it verbatim. Upon speaking with Volvo's customer service, they said to simply call the dealership to get it fixed. Upon calling the same the dealership I visited a year ago, I spoke to their head mechanic who stated that for my model year there has to be a smell indicating a cracked flange, OR RATHER... if I state that I smell gas... then yes, they'll replace... supposedly. They may need to do a visual, or not, they didn't state anything else... the dealership or Volvo.

I think it's weird, odd, and peculiar how they treat the situation based on certain years and WHERE you live rather than WHICH vehicle has the problematic fuel pump. It just seems to me Volvo is doing their best not to cover any work if they don't HAVE to.

RockitShip
07-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Call your local dealer with your VIN and I would expect that the letter is not necessary. You are in one of the states that is covered in the letter and the year is right.

Ditto, they'll ask for your VIN as they did with me over the phone.

wgriswold
07-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Maine is not on the list of states covered in the recall. Only God, Volvo, and the government know why. That probably explains the necessity to identify a problem to get any action.

RockitShip
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Maine is not on the list of states covered in the recall. Only God, Volvo, and the government know why. That probably explains the necessity to identify a problem to get any action.

Indeed, BUT I did in fact receive a letter stating a "warranty" (not necessarily a recall) to cover the fuel pump should it be faulty, this much I remember.

wgriswold
07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
The difference is, I think, that I got a recall letter. Volvo is probably being forced by the government to do a recall in the identified states.

JayPinNC
07-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Great replies. Going to call the dealership in the morning. Thanks!

sjonnie
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Maine is not on the list of states covered in the recall. Only God, Volvo, and the government know why.
Apparently the cracked flange only happens in hot states. How they determined that Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Utah qualify while Missouri, West Virginia and Illinois do not beats me, maybe there were lawsuits in the qualifying states? Anyway, luckily I don't smell gasoline :)

JayPinNC
08-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Apparently the cracked flange only happens in hot states. How they determined that Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Utah qualify while Missouri, West Virginia and Illinois do not beats me, maybe there were lawsuits in the qualifying states? Anyway, luckily I don't smell gasoline :)

Mine is being replaced on my car as I write this. According to the service adviser, it was an extended warranty until they get/got enough parts stocked up to have a total recall on the cars in the right years/states.

jhbe
09-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Interesting. I've had my 2003 XC70 since 2004 and the only major problem I've had was the fuel pump. It was dead. And here in Adelaide, Australia it does get hot... :)

According to Volvo, what was the problem with the fuel pump? Never heard of the pump being subject to a recall.

Ocean Racer
09-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Interesting too.
I can vouch for Adelaide getting hot - but Perth is better [cool2]
I will call my Volvo dealership tomorrow as I have already made some calls to have my fuel senders replaced.