PDA

View Full Version : 2001 V70XC 156k OH S@!T timimg belt broke

Sparky
07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Well chalk it up as another I told you so. Timing belt broke on the way home from work last night. Great way to start the weekend!!!
When I bought it, had the tBelt done @ 125k marked on cover. What a bunch of BS!! Got to take the cover off and check it myself.
But my wife and I also own two other great Volvos so I cant cry or bitch.

I was up till 3am looking for info on the pros and cons of fixing it, but found little to no info.
I can get an engine with 110k for about $700.
Or should I dive into the head removal, valve replacement job.
I've done many on other cars, but after switching to Volvos about 8 years ago, I rarely even go under the car!!

Happy 4th!!

2001 V70XC 156k Work wagon
1998 S70 T5 MT Mustang eater
2004 V70R Wifes Mustang eater

JRL
07-04-2010, 08:20 AM
:eek:You have to do the math
An 01 with 150K isn't worth very much.
Whichever way you choose to fix it (if you do) will cost about what the car is worth (wholesale, of course).
Personally I would sell it to Justin as is, (chilled man), and move on.
This is obviously not your fault, and it sucks big time, but as they say...:eek:

billr99
07-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Well chalk it up as another I told you so. Timing belt broke on the way home from work last night. Great way to start the weekend!!!
When I bought it, had the tBelt done @ 125k marked on cover. What a bunch of BS!! Got to take the cover off and check it myself.
But my wife and I also own two other great Volvos so I cant cry or bitch.

I was up till 3am looking for info on the pros and cons of fixing it, but found little to no info.
I can get an engine with 110k for about $700.
Or should I dive into the head removal, valve replacement job.
I've done many on other cars, but after switching to Volvos about 8 years ago, I rarely even go under the car!!

Happy 4th!!

2001 V70XC 156k Work wagon
1998 S70 T5 MT Mustang eater
2004 V70R Wifes Mustang eater

You could try just doing the head but sometimes if the collision is severe enough you can also have big-end bearing damage as well as the pistons, valves, etc. A used motor might be the way to go if the car is dear to you. Otherwise, I'd probably suggest selling it to the Chilled Man as well.

Cheers,

Bill

Aviator
07-04-2010, 06:56 PM
You won't know what damage has been done until you take the head off. If it's only the head that's been lunched, then you can take the head off that $700 engine you speak of, and install it on your block. It would be cheaper than a new head and dressing, plus you don't have to take the engine out (big pain in ass). It would also be a good time to clean up the donor head (valves, etc.) before installing. Just a suggestion.....been there done that from dealership days.

Dave.

JRL
07-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Reman heads, $450
Somewhere from FL, ask Justin

Sparky
07-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the lack of "I told you so stupid" comments, although i feel like quite the dumb ass. Head coming off this week. I,ve done head gaskets on my 240s and a 760. But the 2.4 t is a whole different monster.
Any links would be helpful, but I think I can pull this one off without losing to much skin. If not i'm going to have some really cheap parts for ya all.

Cheers

JRL
07-04-2010, 08:06 PM
http://cylinder-heads.com/

Chilled Man
07-05-2010, 06:22 AM
hi :D I am looking for a new xc for engine / manual swap ...

lexefx
07-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback and the lack of "I told you so stupid" comments,

+1
[thumbup]

Lex

sjonnie
07-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Any links would be helpful
This is the only link I've seen on repairing this issue

http://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18322