PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new engine...

heybeez1
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
2001 V70XC, 126K. My brother drove it for about an 1 1/2 hrs (uneventful) to our parents. Car sat for 3 hrs; went out to go somewhere and plumes of blue/black smoke come out of the exhaust. Amount of blue/black smoke did not diminish within the first 5 or so minutes. Shut off engine, called me, uncomfortable about driving it back (home). Took truck and trailer to retrieve-when I started it, same smoke issue, seemed really low on power as I drove it onto the trailer. Independent european shop (long relationship with) checked compression; said had "real low" compression of 4 or 5 of the cylinders. We believe the car went through about 45K without an oil change, or with sporadic changes, prior to my ownership. Shop owner declares piston rings stuck in the grooves, total rebuild necessary, but will give me $1000 for salvage (he needs the trans for another customer).

Okay - suggestions? I think a rebuild is cost-prohibitive for value of car (although I do love it). Any possiblity of finding a used engine to put into it (if so, where to look)? Also, does anybody have any "tricks" to try to free up the pistons? And to be totally naive (my hobby is more antique trucks), is it possible to pull the head, drop the pan, pull the pistons, clean up and put back in? I know how stupid that last one sounds, but...

Thanks for the suggestions/input.

Brent
Wichita, KS

jda2000
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I would get a second opinion.

I doubt you need a new engine, especially after the car was driven for 1.5 hrs without any isssues.

Check for OBD codes, before you sell to that opportunistic shop.:(

chipenter
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM
take the oil filler cap off and start the engine if smoke pours out of the filler it's rings , if small amount of smoke then it's probably turbo seals .

JRL
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
A good SEAFOAM treatment will work wonders
Then change the oil
I have personally seen this relieve stuck rings

Also the turbo could have let go, not very long lasting with no oil changes

RockitShip
07-02-2010, 01:59 PM
In addition to what JRL suggests, I would also highly recommend a double dousing of AutoRX. It may already be too late, but these are basically your only options Vs. a rebuild, provided your mechanic is 100% sure it's NOT the turbo.

Good luck

Chilled Man
07-02-2010, 02:32 PM
turbo .......

heybeez1
07-02-2010, 08:06 PM
thanks so much for the input. No mention has been made of the turbo; although he was certain of the low compression readings. The guy is truly an old friend, however, his expertise is in Mercedes. By "Seafoam treatment", are you talking just run a tank of gas through with a can of seafoam? Also, will have to google "AutoRX"; not familiar with that one. Am going to try to get it home, where I can work on it in my shop, and give these suggestions a go.

Thanks again,

Brent

JRL
07-02-2010, 08:20 PM
No
1/3 gas trank
1/3 in the oil fill
1/3 in a vacuum line
Buy the can, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON IT

Chilled Man
07-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Well if hes certian of the low compression readings post up all 5 cylinder readings ...

kamiar
07-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Someone reported the same smoke issue and no power on the other forum, it was the turbo....

Chilled Man
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Someone reported the same smoke issue and no power on the other forum, it was the turbo....

I have a bought a few cars off CL with the person saying it needed a motor due to all the smoke , did a compression test found 150+ in all the cylinders changed the turbo and sold it a few days later for $2k+ profit for 5 hrs worth of work :D

RockitShip
07-04-2010, 02:23 AM
I have a bought a few cars off CL with the person saying it needed a motor due to all the smoke , did a compression test found 150+ in all the cylinders changed the turbo and sold it a few days later for $2k+ profit for 5 hrs worth of work :D

Sly! I'm amazed at how people aren't willing to do their own homework. Works just fine for you though lol! [thumbup]

Chilled Man
07-05-2010, 06:23 AM
yeah its amazing some people dont bother for a second opion or just suck it up and try the dealer for once

JayPinNC
07-05-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm thinking it might be the issue for my car too...I get a small puff of blue smoke and then just a lot of exhaust-like smoke...it might be a little blue (hard to tell).

heybeez1
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm getting closer. Got the car home this morning, still puffing blue/black smoke as I drove it on the trailer. Unloaded it, backed it into my shed (after a quick 1 mile drive) and popped the hood. Aahhhh... burning oil smoke coming from - you guessed it - the back of the engine. Pulled the inspection cover, pulled one plug coil and plug. Not able to run compression test because my helper isn't here (16 yr old daughter who thinks she wants to be a gear-head), but if they (the previously mentioned shop) ran a compression test, I'll eat my hat - there was NO evidence of the cover being off, or any of the coil packs being removed, etc.

Now, another question. What is the appears-to-be-a-sensor located between cyl1 coil pack and the timing belt, under the inspection cover? AND - there is a small amount of oil in the crevices and recesses under the inspection (spark plug) cover. Where did this come from, and should it bother me? Finally - I really want a manual for this car - like the Chilton's I have for my '01 Ford F-250. Any suggestions? I've checked Amazon and don't see what I think I need.

Obviously, you guy's input has been invaluable (or at least worth $4 to $6K). Thanks so much. Really kind of kicking myself - I mess around with antique cars and trucks all the time (mainly 40's and 50's cars), but for some reason I don't seem to trust myself with the newer cars.

Thanks again,

Brent Lehner

JRL
07-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Oil under the spark plug cover.
Blown cam seals
Clogged breather box and if this oil is going to the back and hitting the exhaust!..........

sjonnie
07-09-2010, 02:37 PM
What is the appears-to-be-a-sensor located between cyl1 coil pack and the timing belt, under the inspection cover?
No sensor there, there is the camshaft solenoid (see attachment).

there is a small amount of oil in the crevices and recesses under the inspection (spark plug) cover. Where did this come from, and should it bother me?

It came out of the oil filler cap as a result of excessive crankcase pressure. This occurs when your PCV system is clogged. If the oil was changed irregularly and the car has 126K on it, you can almost guarantee the PCV system is clogged. This might even be the source of all your problems, excessive crankcase pressure can force oil past the turbo seals and into the exhaust causing the blue smoke.

Finally - I really want a manual for this car - like the Chilton's I have for my '01 Ford F-250. Any suggestions? I've checked Amazon and don't see what I think I need.
There is no manual for the XC70, Haynes has a manual for the V70 available through amazon.co.uk which will cover everything except the AWD. Other information resource we use is the Volvo software VADIS/VIDA available on ebay.

billr99
07-09-2010, 06:52 PM
You can also get a bit of oil under the spark plug cover as a result of a bad oil cap gasket. In fact, that is a pretty typical issue on the white motors and as a result I change mine out after every 3rd oil change at 10K kms. They only cost a couple of bucks if you do mail order anyway and its an easy fix.

Also as far as a manual, you might want to give the UK-spec Haynes manual a miss. I have one and have found it next to useless which is fairly rare in my 40 years of experience with Haynes. Get hold of a copy of VIDA or VADIS via a torrent and you can get that info then for essentially no cost.

Cheers,

Bill

heybeez1
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
BIG RELIEF in SC Kansas - comp readings were as follows (starting at #1): 165,170,160,170,180. YIPPEE! - other than the fact that I'm pissed that my "old friend" either flat out lied to me, or didn't know how to do a compression test correctly.

Okay, so what's next? I'll replace the oil cap gasket (easy), but where do I start for the PCV system (remember, I'm used to the old chevy's that had a little plug type thing in the valve cover)? I agree that the PCV is probably clogged - if that is allowing increased pressure to force oil past the turbo seals, then I'm assuming the seals are toast, so I need to pull the turbo anyway, right?

Blocked breather box? Sorry, you're going to have to type slower and draw me a picture, "cuz I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed".

Which brings me to my next point - "VIDA" or "VADIS" "via torrent" (I can't figure out how to "quote" either) ?? Further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I'll say it again - you guys have been lifesavers. I love my V70XC, just never worked on it myself.

Brent Lehner

ps - what's a "white" motor?...

JRL
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
BIG job
A 4+ hour flat rate job. I've seen it done by a Volvo mechanic who does them every day in an hour and a half but that's not the norm. Most guys that try this themselves take 5-7 hours and a lot of cursing.

Parts will cost you from between $140 to $200 depending on where you buy them.

You also need the right tools as you have to remove the intake manifold (a couple of nasty, hard to get bolts there) :eek:(hint, skinny 12" extension) and remove the fuel line, (need a tool for that too), etc

sjonnie
07-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Okay, so what's next? I'll replace the oil cap gasket (easy), but where do I start for the PCV system (remember, I'm used to the old chevy's that had a little plug type thing in the valve cover)? I agree that the PCV is probably clogged - if that is allowing increased pressure to force oil past the turbo seals, then I'm assuming the seals are toast, so I need to pull the turbo anyway, right?

Blocked breather box? Sorry, you're going to have to type slower and draw me a picture, "cuz I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed".

Welcome to the world's most complex and inaccessible PCV system :D

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_products_large/4728.jpg

The breather box is labeled E in the picture. It fills up with gunk, people often replace it but it can be cleaned out with solvent. Hose H and F will also be gunked and brittle due to heat exposure so easiest just to replace. Hose C may or may not be clogged, at the banjo bolt going into the intake or at the PTC nipple on the other end.

Given the amount of smoke you have coming out the end it may be that your turbo is gone, do the PCV repair and see.

heybeez1
07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Where do I order the parts? I don't really like my local dealer (long story), but where to get them online?

Gotta admit, if I knew a good shop in central Kansas I could trust, I'd probably take it to them...

Thanks,

Brent

sjonnie
07-24-2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.ipdusa.com

RockitShip
07-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Welcome to the world's most complex and inaccessible PCV system :D

NO KIDDING! I still can't imagine why they integrated what seems like a coolant line into the PCV hose and then stuck a banjo bolt on it UNDERNEATH the intake manifold... W_T_F ? And the t-stat completely covering the manifold bolt?

I would seriously consider a PCV delete for this car if I knew where to start.