PDA

View Full Version : Changing Plugs on '02 XC70 Non-Turbo

TTDAD
06-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi, I'm looking for alterative plugs for the OEM plugs (just quoted $55 for 5) that I can get retail today. Also, what size torx wrench do I need to remove the plastic engine cover, and can I get that at PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.? I'm not looking for max performance or mileage, just a good, solid plug that won't cause other problems down the road.

Any insight greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JRL
06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
No such a car as an 02XC NON turbo
ALL XCs are turbos

billr99
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi, I'm looking for alterative plugs for the OEM plugs (just quoted $55 for 5) that I can get retail today. Also, what size torx wrench do I need to remove the plastic engine cover, and can I get that at PepBoys, AutoZone, etc.? I'm not looking for max performance or mileage, just a good, solid plug that won't cause other problems down the road.

Any insight greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Champions are what you will find specified in your owners manual (Page 142: "Spark plugs: Champion RC8PYP 8 (or equivalent)"). I've used the equivalent that is available at NAPA as well as the equivalent NGK, with very good luck.

Cheers,

Bill

Mad Cune
06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Wow, I never knew that. I don't have a turbo gauge or anything. It doesn't even take off like my 850 turbo. Wow...

billr99
06-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Wow, I never knew that. I don't have a turbo gauge or anything. It doesn't even take off like my 850 turbo. Wow...

That's because its a low-pressure turbo versus the high-pressure type use in your 850T.

Cheers,

Bill

Chilled Man
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
volvo plugs every 40k

NGK plugs every 5k

you do the math ;)

Mad Cune
06-25-2010, 10:00 PM
So that's like my 850 GLT?

billy780
06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Why dont you want to spend the money on the volvo plugs? That is all I will put in my car.

sjonnie
06-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi, I'm looking for alterative plugs for the OEM plugs (just quoted $55 for 5) that I can get retail today.

OEM plugs sold by IPD are Bosch Super Plus, $2ea at Autozone.

toma nova
06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Why dont you want to spend the money on the volvo plugs? That is all I will put in my car.

Because Volvo (or any other OEM) doesn't make plugs. Or oil. Or filters. Or tranny fluid.

Find out who makes the OEM if you're dead set on the specified replacement for any consumable. If you want as good or better, do a little research and go with Mann oil filters, Mobil 1, Mobil tranny fluid, or Champion plugs (IMHO).

If you're going to do your own work, why wouldn't you take the next step and buy your own parts instead of paying a dealer's markup for relabeling??

Doing all my own work, even with Safe + Sound,
Tom

billr99
06-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Because Volvo (or any other OEM) doesn't make plugs. Or oil. Or filters. Or tranny fluid.

Find out who makes the OEM if you're dead set on the specified replacement for any consumable. If you want as good or better, do a little research and go with Mann oil filters, Mobil 1, Mobil tranny fluid, or Champion plugs (IMHO).

If you're going to do your own work, why wouldn't you take the next step and buy your own parts instead of paying a dealer's markup for relabeling??

Tom

Well said, Tom.

Cheers,

Bill

Aviator
06-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Well said, Tom.

Indeed it is, and it's something I've been preaching for a long time. As with all car makers, the individual parts are constructed by a lot of other companies. As is the case with spark plugs, Tom is right.....Volvo doesn't make those, so you buy the OEM part without buying the Volvo namesake, and you save a ton of money. It's all just a big brainwashing game to get you to buy "genuine parts" and have your wallet raped in the process. Granted, some parts you would hit the dealer for obviously, but for consumables and other sh!t, save your money and stay away from the dealer.

Dave.

Forkster
06-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Wow, I never knew that. I don't have a turbo gauge or anything. It doesn't even take off like my 850 turbo. Wow...Really? Your turbo control valve maybe shot and/or the tubing to the TCV may have holes. All XC70's have fairly strong engines.

Cept of course your a nut like me and do the IME upgrade to 245hp and 310lb/t. :D

jda2000
06-30-2010, 08:19 AM

Tom

Tom, you are the man of the day. Agreed 100%.

Please, give the man a beer or something[happy]