PDA

View Full Version : 05 thunk on slow

littlewaywelt
06-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Hi folks...been a while since I've posted. Just after, or as rolling to a stop, our 2005 XC has a thunk noise. It's intermittent. I thought this was a transmission noise similar to our old 01XC's neutral feature. It sounds and feels like a transmission thing to my untrained ear. The car was recently in for its 90k service and the dealer said the bushings were cracked and the paperwork said "fault traced, replaced front control arm bushings. Bonded axle splines" to the tune of $660. The noise is still there. Any ideas? The car is going back into the dealer in a couple of weeks so I'd like to go in there armed with an idea of what might be going on.

Thanks in advance for any help and hope everyone here has been doing well.

dpaton
06-25-2010, 07:03 AM
My guess: Tranny torque rod. Upper and/or lower engine mounts. Sway bar bushings. Endlinks. All easy to check.

Forkster
06-25-2010, 08:12 AM
I would put $$$ on the fact one of your exhaust mounts underneath is broken, and what you're hearing is your exhaust pipe bumping against either the shaft or the car body.

I know, cause I get that EXACT same noise. Take a look underneath - I only get the noise at slow speeds, especially if I go over railroad tracks.

Now, if you find something else, let me know.

BillAileo
06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Following up on what Ed suggested as the possible cause: On both our XC70 & S80 the bracket attached to the tail pipe to which the rubber donuts are connected rusted out and the resulting occasional noise sounded like what you describe. The good news was that this must be a common problem and Volvo has a repair kit that simply clamps over the pipe giving you new connection points for the rubber donuts.

Bill

yish...
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm getting the exact same thing and guessing it's the transmission (completely overhauled about a month back). Does the thunk you guys are talking about also includes a slight jerk/nudge? When it does happen to me, I kinda timed it to be when it's dropping from 3rd to 2nd. Dreading having to have the transmission overhauled again!

06ORXC
06-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Front sway bar bushings, just did mine under warranty with 35k on them.
Replace the sway bar assembly, bar with 2 bushings pressed and attach to it all ready.