PDA

View Full Version : help please

2000xc70
06-22-2010, 03:55 AM
thought i would start a new thread after posting on another !
i have a 1/01 XC70 b5224t engine 144 000 kms.
just the last couple of days has started to get some smoke off the exhaust manifold or back of engine (unsure) there is oil on the rubber boot that connects to the turbo pipe that runs over the engine, also a little on the heat cover of the exhaust manifold.
My question is , could this be the turbo return pipe leaking or is it something higher up?

has had both o2 sensors replaced just last week by the dealer.

some help would be greatly appreciated.

kamiar
06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
The smoke is probably the oil drips on the hot exhaust or heat shield, where it comes from? no idea... ?

sjonnie
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
thought i would start a new thread after posting on another !
i have a 1/01 XC70 b5224t engine 144 000 kms.
just the last couple of days has started to get some smoke off the exhaust manifold or back of engine (unsure) there is oil on the rubber boot that connects to the turbo pipe that runs over the engine, also a little on the heat cover of the exhaust manifold.
My question is , could this be the turbo return pipe leaking or is it something higher up?

has had both o2 sensors replaced just last week by the dealer.

some help would be greatly appreciated.

Not the turbo oil return pipe, that's underneath the turbo, oil can't climb ;) You may have a busted charged air pipe /turbo connector, that would allow some oil to escape, if it's spraying over the heat shield that would create smoke. It's simple to take off, mine (http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15862) had a big old hole in it I could put my finger through. Another possible source is the top of the engine, if you have a clogged PCV system oil will come out of the filler cap and collect on top of the engine. Take the spark plug cover off and if it looks like this (http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13693&highlight=oil+leak+valve+cover) you need to do a PCV system service.

2000xc70
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
cheers i'll take a look tomorrow, i have noticed just today that if i dont get the turbo cranking eg. drive like a grandpa!!!! it doesn't smoke off the engine. anyway i'll check it out

2000xc70
07-18-2010, 03:25 AM
cheers i'll take a look tomorrow, i have noticed just today that if i dont get the turbo cranking eg. drive like a grandpa!!!! it doesn't smoke off the engine. anyway i'll check it out

was a busted charged air pipe, didn't look cracked till i actually moved it.