PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Arm Bushing Repair with Video

RockitShip
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Here's a cheap fix; I picked up an "wiper arm bushing assortment" pack of various bushings from Advanced Auto and was able to use one of the bushings supplied (there are actually 2 of the same within pack). It's a cheap fix for about $5.

I was able to access the arm just by removing the four plastic clips that hold the windshield valance on and sliding the arm out to repair and then sliding back in to attach. I had to remove the old plastic bushing and I used needle nose pliers and a chisel and a knife. There is a small metal lip and it got minimal damage when I was taking the old bushing out but had not affect on the outcome.

You'll also notice I lightly greased the socket and also used some JB Weld to keep the bushing attached as I had to remove the clips to make it fit in the hole on the arm.

I only tested it out with the wipers washing on both a wet and dry windshield. Seems OK, we'll see how she does when it pours!

On another note, those pesky plastic clips on the windshield valance were either already broken or broke while removing. I just got two machine screws with decorative washers and wing nuts and they perform better and add an industrial look.

Colin

http://dewittdesign.com/volvo-stuff/VID00252.AVI

RockitShip
06-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Update:

The bushing I used wasn't holding.
I had to use another, slightly smaller bushing and modify it to fit.
Modification entailed drilling out a large hole in the back, much like the original as the ball that fits into the bushing has a protrusion on the back. This made it possible for the bushing to completely enclose the ball so it won't pop out again.

I tried the new modded bushing with wipers on high and every other variation to try to make it pop off but it was successful in staying on!