PDA

View Full Version : Tire Load Rating

Damon
06-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi....Started looking for tires for my 2004 xc90. I've checked reviews and have pretty much decided on the General Grabber HTS. When I tried to order, a warning appeared; letting me know that these are XL (extra load) tires which are not standard and might result in a stiffer ride. Does anyone know... is an XL tire a problem for the xc90???
Thanks!
Damon::confused:

dmd
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
The higher the weight rating the more stiff the tire.... so the stiffer the ride (in
general)....

You can run them a little lower on air and see what happens, but then you may get
uneven tread wear.

Josh775
06-23-2010, 04:57 PM
An XL ply tire should not be a problem, and with the weight of the XC, it may be a benefit. It will be slightly stiffer than a standard load tire, but the difference is not that noticable. If you went to a LT tire in a C ply, then you would notice a difference.

Under-inflating tires is not a good idea. This puts added stress on the sidewall, since it will be flexing more than it is intended to. What little difference you may see in the stiffness of the ride will be overshadowed by the increased chance of a blowout.