PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Service light is back on....

Mad Cune
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Well I had the tranny flushed and an Oil Change done at my local Volvo mechanic shop (Not a dealer). The light went off after about 2 days and the car was riding like a dream again. However, yesterday (about 1 week later), the "Transmission Service Required" message came back on and the car began to jump again while i am stopped at a redlight or stop sign. I am very upset, because it leads me to believe that the tranny needs work. The funny thing is, it doesn't act funny until the car gets warm. When I first start, there are no issues. CRAZY! I want to get this taken care of. I really like this car!

The worst part is, i have a family trip planned this weekend...[cussing]

jda2000
05-25-2010, 01:02 PM
update the tranny to the latest software at the dealer, if you have not done so.

JRL
05-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Doubt it will work, probably toast
Of course you did not post your year or your mileage
Usually when they're WARM/HOT is when you notice the issues, not when they're cold

Mad Cune
05-25-2010, 01:14 PM
It's a 2001 with 119,000 on it. I will try the software upload. I was going to take it to Keystone in Berwyn, JRL. You think it's moot? Let me know. Thanx to both of you.

JRL
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
You've never had any upgraded software???
2001's have had about 5-7 tranny software upgrades
Worth a shot (it's your only option at this point)
Let me know when you're going and I'll tell you who to speak to and who not to!

They usually know this, but make sure they reset your adaptors and do the drive cycle

(Who flushed your tranny)?

Mad Cune
05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
I got the tranny flushed at Bavarian Motors in Philly. They specialize in Volvos and I have been going there for years. This is my 3rd brick. They have serviced all of them. I believe I spoke with Jack at Keystone in the service dept. I'm scheduled for Friday.

Mad Cune
05-26-2010, 06:43 AM
JRL, the service man I spoke with at Keystone was James. Is he trustworthy?

JRL
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
He's OK and you can use my name but I would try Ken or Larry first

Mad Cune
05-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Service light has since gone off again! This is an emotional roller coaster!

jda2000
05-27-2010, 06:09 AM
its the volvo god playing tricks with you.

Have you been badmouthing volvos lately?:p

01VolvoXC70
05-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Mad Cune,

I changed my oil last week and my service transmission message also disappeared as did the little warning triangle in the centre. It was off for a couple days then came back on and went off again the next day.

I bought a obdII reader and Im pulling codes p0722 and P1618 which has to do with a speed sensor on the transmission. But....Im a bit hesitant to replace it because I heard that it may actually be the ABS throwing the code. Anyone with any thoughts to this?

I erased the code and the message and warning light went off for the day, very nice!, but have returned after driving it 10km :(

01VolvoXC70
05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
You've never had any upgraded software???
2001's have had about 5-7 tranny software upgrades
Worth a shot (it's your only option at this point)
Let me know when you're going and I'll tell you who to speak to and who not to!

They usually know this, but make sure they reset your adaptors and do the drive cycle

(Who flushed your tranny)?

What adaptors are you speaking of and how does one go about resetting the adaptors? Also, do you know if it is necessary to do the drive cycle after deleting P0722 and p1618 codes? I have seen a couple different methods for a drive cycle. One of them had about 20 steps!

JRL
05-31-2010, 04:27 AM
Takes about 15-20 minutes to do a drive cycle properly.
Usually the dealer does it after the adaption reset and to do the reset the correct way is thru VIDA at the dealer.
You can disconnect the battery for 15 minutes but that won't clear it 100%