PDA

View Full Version : NC DMV/Window Tint/Is it a Station Wagon?

JayPinNC
05-13-2010, 12:03 PM
First of all, I wince when people call my XC a 'wagon.' Even my 6-year-old gets the 'eye' when he asks if we're taking the station wagon to go somewhere.

Anyway, I want to tint my windows, but the DMV rules are so vague when it comes to our style of car.

Basically, you must have a minimum of 35% light come through the windows, UNLESS the window is...

"A window of a multipurpose vehicle that is behind the driver of the vehicle. A multipurpose vehicle is a passenger vehicle that is designed to carry 10 or fewer passengers and either is constructed on a truck chassis or has special features designed for occasional off-road operation. A minivan and a pickup truck are multipurpose vehicles."

Now, it doesn't say the vehicle has to be registered as a MPV, and when I called the DMV, the person I spoke to asked if they had spoken to me before because they just told another guy with a "Station Wagon" that his car fell under the above exception...but weren't sure about mine.

The DMV defines multi-purpose on their site as I quoted above. Does anyone else in NC have their windows tinted? If so, did you have any issues at your safety inspection?

I'm willing to cringe if they call my XC a station wagon for the sake of having tint on my car that actually block out some sun. But it's been two weeks waiting for them to give me some kind of answer.

uscgc70
05-13-2010, 03:46 PM
what would you consider it then? your car shares the entire chassis with an S60 (a sedan), but has an open cargo compartment instead if a trunk. it's a wagon, be proud of that!

JayPinNC
05-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I guess my real problem is with the way the NC DMV classifies cars then and what that classification has to do with window tint light transmission guidelines.

n00bkiller944
05-13-2010, 05:34 PM
I have tint on my windows... I have 25% on the way rear cargo area and 35% on the rear door windows and 50% on the front. I think it looks great and I never get hassled. I am even thinking about doing the way fronts 35% instead of 50 this summer.

JayPinNC
05-13-2010, 06:31 PM
I have tint on my windows... I have 25% on the way rear cargo area and 35% on the rear door windows and 50% on the front. I think it looks great and I never get hassled. I am even thinking about doing the way fronts 35% instead of 50 this summer.

I bought 50% for the passenger/driver and 20% for everything else. I don't think I'd get hassled, but my wife's got a lead foot and it's nothing to add a tint violation to a speeding ticket in North Carolina.

If I could get a straight answer from the DMV, I could actually make a decision.

morregerbert
05-13-2010, 06:56 PM
North Carolina Tint Law Enacted: 2001
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NORTH CAROLINA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In North Carolina, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN NORTH CAROLINA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.

OTHER NORTH CAROLINA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED AMBER YELLOW are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

n00bkiller944
05-13-2010, 07:18 PM
35% all the way around would look sexy. I would stick with the 20% in the back cargo area though, but thats me!

JayPinNC
05-13-2010, 07:26 PM
35% all the way around would look sexy. I would stick with the 20% in the back cargo area though, but thats me!

See - that's my beef with the law - I want it for my protection from snooping eyes as much as i just want to keep the inside of my car from getting to 120F in the summer.

I had a Jeep Cherokee with 20% all around the rear (rear doors, too) and that looked great. I want to duplicate that look with the Volvo.

JayPinNC
05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks. I just need clarification as to the vehicle class that the Volvo XC falls under. The person I spoke to says the manufacturer decides the vehicle class, but I've read things to the contrary.

hans77
05-14-2010, 02:52 AM
The tint % will depend on the tint limits in your state, check it at www.TintBuyer.com. They provide helpful information about window tints such as its different types, quotations and will help you locate the best professional window tint installer near your area. :)

JayPinNC
05-14-2010, 05:10 AM
It depends on more than just a limit. The limit is based on the kind of vehicle you have. If you vehicle has characteristics that can be used for "occasional off-road use" then you can get darker tint.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I hope tintbuyer.com pays you well.

Forkster
05-14-2010, 12:53 PM
You pretty much can put limo tint on all your windows except the front driver and passenger. I would recommend not putting any tint there as while your state may have it ok for light tint, another may not and impound your car if you go cross-border, especially into Canada.

I've seen tinted windows for the rear - they look sharp. :)

JayPinNC
05-14-2010, 01:07 PM
You pretty much can put limo tint on all your windows except the front driver and passenger. I would recommend not putting any tint there as while your state may have it ok for light tint, another may not and impound your car if you go cross-border, especially into Canada.

I've seen tinted windows for the rear - they look sharp. :)

Thanks for the advice. Spoke to someone at the DMV today who said that I simply have to go in and have my car inspected (no fee) and the registration changed from "Wagon" to MPV.

I did buy the lightest tint for the driver/passenger just in case. But from the back seat to the hatch, i went 50%. That's the same as my old Jeep and I made it to Canada and back.

billy780
05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
From what I read it sounds like you are okay with installing whatever you like on the rear windows.
My 04 came with factory on the rears which was around 35% and then I had them tinted again with 20%, you can barley see through on the back. My 2 fronts have 35% and the windshield has 50%.

I would also ask how hard NC enforces the tint law?

sjonnie
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
35% with reflective on the rears, 35% on the fronts. A must have for anyone with the dark leather interior.

lexefx
05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
35% with reflective on the rears, 35% on the fronts. A must have for anyone with the dark leather interior.

pix?

Chilled Man
05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/R410a/photo-25.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/R410a/photo4-5.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/R410a/ZOMG021.jpg
35% front 25% rear windows.

I get an ass load of speeding tickets and never once about the tint.

( so many speeding tickets I almost didnt get my last two jobs ...)

35% All Way around
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/R410a/photo4-7.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/R410a/160.jpg

billy780
05-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Bad pic but one all the same

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc48/skafasis/SK%20Car%20Pics/Picture145.jpg

n00bkiller944
05-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Who's fresh black XC? I really like black XC's i dunno what it is lol

c900s
09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Add Maryland to the list of states that don't allow the Cross Country to have dark tint on the rear. I recently moved here from Illinois (four years of ownership without any issues about the tint) and went for the required vehicle inspection (a joke but that is another topic.) I was told that before they could issue the certificate I needed to go and have the DMV inspect it. I only had a dark tint on the five rear windows; the driver and passenger windows were factory tint only. It failed because it is "a car" and cars are only allowed 35%. I had brought my Volvo brochure from 1999 along which states that it "offers and exceptional level of versatility in a multi-purpose vehicle ..."

The reason that I pointed that out to the inspector is that Maryland allows 70% tint on the rear windows of multi-purpose vehicles. So, how do they determine what a multi-purpose vehicle is? They use the N.A.D.A. Used Car Guide! The V70XC is grouped with the V70 and is therefore a car. I questioned the supervisor about using an outside source for determining a governmental policy. She told me that " a multi-purpose vehicle is a SUV built on a truck chassis like a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. It is not a unibody chassis like my V70XC. She knows this because her son is a mechanic!" I still need to get my plates so I didn't have the heart to continue the discussion how those two examples are unibody construction as well as available with FWD. No sense in asking about minivans as well!

I went home and removed the tint from my "car" and now have my inspection certificate.

JRL
09-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm willing to cringe if they call my XC a station wagon for the sake of having tint on my car that actually block out some sun. But it's been two weeks waiting for them to give me some kind of answer.

Well cringe
Your title should say "SW" under type of vehicle.
I'll give you 3 guesses what SW stands for! [sly]