PDA

View Full Version : Center Differential Question

Rocket Fan
05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I hope I am not duplicating a thread but fear I am. I have a 2004 xc70. Does the bevel gear oil change described in the following link need to be done on model after 2003? If so is the proceedure the same?

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/2001-v70xc-bevel_gear_oil_replacement.pdf

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerrymcc
05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I am new to this forum, therefore I do not know if my point has been covered...I have the same hand operated vacuum pump as the one shown in the post...With mine, the vacuum and pressure ports are reversed...The port coming out of the top is the vacuum port...I think the picture in the post might be mis-marked...

The "center differential" is not a differential, it is a bevel gear assembly...The bevel gear assembly has 2 gears...A differential has at least 6 gears...The differential for the rear wheels is in the usual place at the rear of the vehicle...

Rocket Fan
05-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks, It is the bevel gear assembly that I am asking about.

BillAileo
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I am new to this forum, therefore I do not know if my point has been covered...I have the same hand operated vacuum pump as the one shown in the post...With mine, the vacuum and pressure ports are reversed...The port coming out of the top is the vacuum port...I think the picture in the post might be mis-marked...

I have the same hand operated vacuum pump and my ports are as described in the labels in the posting.

TheDarkKnightt
05-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Would someone explain to me why it uses 3309 instead of 90W?

Aviator
05-12-2010, 02:33 PM

?????????? It takes neither.....try 75W90 GL5.

Dave.

sjonnie
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm guessing you're referring to this line from the .pdf linked above:

Parts needed
1 - Volvo Transmission Fluid (1 liter – Part No. 1161648)

That's just Volvo's way of messing with you. They call it transmission fluid just to get you thinking you have to buy their over-priced fluid and to trick non-Volvo mechanics into putting transmission fluid in your angle gear! (Didn't that happen to someone on here?) I have Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil in mine as do many other peeps on this forum.

BillAileo
05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Due to the bevel gear temperature range I believe it is important that whatever gear oil you use make sure it is a full synthetic.

billr99
05-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Due to the bevel gear temperature range I believe it is important that whatever gear oil you use make sure it is a full synthetic.
The GL-5 spec specifically states "API GL-5, oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective antiscuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except gearboxes). Oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes only. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS."

So technically speaking, dino or syn oil meeting this spec should work regardless of its base; but I cannot recall ever seeing a dino rated at anything above a GL-4 anyway.

Cheers,

Bill

TheDarkKnightt
05-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Dad-blame it guys! :)

I said good old 90W dino oil because...not everywhere can you find synthetic gear oil...like around here.

Next time I'm out, I'm gett'n synthetic. [thumbup]

sjonnie
05-12-2010, 11:05 PM
I said good old 90W dino oil because...not everywhere can you find synthetic gear oil...like around here.
I'm pretty sure you can get it at Walmart...

Rocket Fan
05-13-2010, 05:15 AM
I hope I am not duplicating a thread but fear I am. I have a 2004 xc70. Does the bevel gear oil change described in the following link need to be done on model after 2003? If so is the proceedure the same?

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/2001-v70xc-bevel_gear_oil_replacement.pdf

Thanks in advance for your help.

Does anyone know if the procedure is necessary or applies to models after 2003, spacifically an '04.

lexefx
05-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know if the procedure is necessary or applies to models after 2003, spacifically an '04.

This procedure is correct for an 04, I have done my 2004.

Alex

Rocket Fan
05-13-2010, 12:48 PM
This procedure is correct for an 04, I have done my 2004.

Alex

Many Thanks.