PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Air - blows cold out vents but then turns off after about 10 seconds....

jeni
05-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I have tried every combination of settings and can't get the thing to stay on. I don't have an owners manual yet and it's a MY02. I've had it less than a month.

I have the dual controls set at the lowest they will go. When I turn the fan on high, I get nice cold air rushing out of the vents for about 6 - 10 seconds and then the vents stop blowing but you still hear a high fan sound at the passenger foot well. I've tried switching from auto to manual, turned recirc on and off, held my finger in front of what I believe is the cabin air sensor by the radio.... I can trick it to get it to blow again by turning off the fan and then turning it to high again. It lasts about another 6 seconds and stops blowing out the vents again but you still hear the high fan sound.

What am I doing wrong. It's getting pretty hot out and that initial blast of cold icy air for ten seconds isn't cooling down my car.

jda2000
05-11-2010, 12:49 PM
have you recently disconnected the battery?

jeni
05-11-2010, 01:45 PM
have you recently disconnected the battery?

I haven't but it just had a ton of work done to it and might have been disconnected then. Curious as to the question....

Jeni

dpaton
05-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Did it work before you took it to your mechanic?

I haven't but it just had a ton of work done to it and might have been disconnected then. Curious as to the question....

Jeni

Listen to the Master (for battery disconnect/replacement)! - http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/electricalelectronics.htm

jeni
05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Did it work before you took it to your mechanic?

Listen to the Master (for battery disconnect/replacement)! - http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvo....htm#207347288

I just bought the car less than a month ago so I have no previous knowledge that it worked/didn't work.

Jeni

mark_vxc
07-02-2010, 07:18 AM
SOMEONE HELP US . . . . IT'S HOT!!!

I'm having the exact same problem. When the a/c compressor is turned on, the air gets cold of course, but immediately all the cabin vents close so that zero air comes out. You can hear the blower running and the air moving, but it's trapped inside - - - sounds like it's behind the glove compartment area.

As soon as I turn the compressor OFF the vents open and the cold air rushes into the cabin, but soon turns warm as the compressor is still off. When you reengage the compressor the vents close again.

Can someone please provide some insight?

Thanks,

Mark

Mad Cune
07-02-2010, 08:29 AM
The Climate Control panel may be bad. That was my problem. Have your tech check the wiring as well. My tech banged mine with his hand and it works fine now. A replacement may be between $300-$1000.

jda2000
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM
try removing the cabin temp sensor to clean it and resetting the CCM.

jeni
07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
try removing the cabin temp sensor to clean it and resetting the CCM.

Have looked for about an hour and cannot find the instruction for -

Resetting the CCM. How do I do this?

Also suggested is cleaning the temperature sensor. How is that done?

jeni
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Okay, I think I've found it but now I have MORE questions - I've read both the instructions for how to disconnect/reconnect the battery when doing work and the instructions for resetting the ECC. They differ slightly although both require you to disconnect the battery.

Which instructions do I follow?

Resetting the ECC -
Switch off the radio and the ignition, go back and (disconnect both cables from the battery) join them together for ten-twenty seconds, then reconnect them.
Mr T.

Disconnecting/Reconnecting the battery -
If you are to perform any electrical work, please follow this procedure.

1. With the car on, or key in position II, turn off your fan, close your sun roof, turn off your radio.
2. Turn key to position 0 and remove key.
3. Disconnect negative battery connection.
(DO WORK on car)
4. Insert key to position II
5. Reconnect negative terminal on battery
6. Turn AC fan to max, then to min
7. Fully open and close your sunroof
8. Set the Clock
9. Program the Radio
10. Set seat memory

norski
07-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Also, just below the glove box is the filter. Pull it out and blow it with air or replace if needed. My 04 was clogged after 3 years and we noticed not much air was blowing out of the vents yet we could hear the fan running down by the passenger's feet. We knew the vents blew plenty of air, when we purchased the car new and then the air delivery gradually decreased to where it was almost non-existant.

Arne

Jerrymcc
07-16-2010, 09:32 AM
On the center console there is a recirculate button...It is the one with an image of an automobile on it...Depressing this button closes all outside air sources and recirculates the inside air only...This is for the purpose of a quick cool-down, and to exclude outside exhaust gas, odors, etc...When it is depressed the doors will close and an orange indicator light will illuminate on it...Try it and see what happens...

Ocean Racer
07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a dead clutch coil in the compressor. I had the exact same issue when I first got the XC. The mechanic rebuilt the compressor and it fixed the problem. Or get a new/second hand compressor and go from there ;)