PDA

View Full Version : Front O2 sensor questions

dpaton
05-09-2010, 04:57 AM
MY05; 116K Km; Bought it @ 80K and recorded similar mileage as others for both summer and winter. Runs OK but I have always thought it uses too much fuel and it seems worse (12.3 lt/100km - an extra litre) this past winter; Just did the plugs again.

No codes; I connect my code reader (including live data stream) and the O2-S12 shows (> .6 volts - rich!) but no O2-S11 data at all.

Shouldn't the car throw some codes if it really wasn't there (broken wire/faulty)?

How do you get the front O2 sensor connector apart to scope it (it's a PITA to see and get to)?

Is there a sliding key like the rear connector? Do I have to pop out the body connector centre pin?

Anyone have a good close-up picture of that connector?

Thanks,
Dann

squirrel_master
05-09-2010, 04:54 PM
your scanner may not read a linear o2s. your car will use more gas in the winter. it's cold. yes, it will set a code. it does have a slide key release.

kamiar
05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Driving in Montreal i get 15.5l/100KM... it was 13.5 but suddenly since last week or so it dropped to 15.5!!!! no code or other symptom whatsoever.

RockitShip
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
When did you take your reading? After starting the car? If so you cannot do that as it will read rich. Read it again after running it around for a while.

Also, there's only so much info an 02 sensor can provide. I'm pretty sure they can only let you know when it's rich or not rich (stoic?).

dpaton
05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
your scanner may not read a linear o2s.

That's possible but that question to the scanner vendor (Memoscan) has not been answered yet.

I'm comparing collected data from over three years and the last winter average is the one that was higher even though the winter temps were higher than normal for here.

My O2 output voltage is fixed at ~.45 for the first few minutes (until the heaters finish I presume) then move to ~.75 on average. I leave the scanner in and drive about 30 minutes at 110Km and the numbers are consistent.

How many km/miles are O2 sensor usually replaced?

RockitShip
05-10-2010, 10:50 AM
What are you trying to accomplish by collecting data?
I've heard of folks replacing them after about 100,000 miles (160,000 k?).
Concerned about MPG/performance? Just replace it.

Aviator
05-12-2010, 02:41 PM
O2 sensors don't always toss codes when they're not working right, but disconnecting one will for sure. Here....strap this on...

http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

Dave.

dpaton
05-13-2010, 05:44 AM
It's emissions testing time here for me (every two years) and since I questioned my consumption, I also question whether it will pass. I'm just doing due diligence.

If I can get that front connector apart I'm sure the scope will tell the truth given that the scanner doesn't even identify it. Memoscan never responded to my query.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Dann